Favorite Ways to Fry Fish

• mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

So this should probably be in the Unpopular Opinion thread but I don’t eat fish hardly ever. I don’t dislike it, but I usually would rather have something else. That said, I just got back from Red and have some nice walleye and crappie filets. I’ve fried fish before but wondered what all your favorite batters or breading are?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Are you opposed to baking or grilling it? I prefer doing that instead.

isu22andy

I’ve grown to despise frying . Just a mess in general . House stinks , got used oil to deal with , feels unhealthy as get out .

I like baking or grilling – place walleye fillets in foil , throw some butter on them . Season heavily with salt pepper lemon pepper and touch of heat of your choice , cut up some onions and place over top . 30 minutes or so on 350 . Just had it tonight . Best part is when your done ball up the foil and chuck it in the trash done lol

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Are you opposed to baking or grilling it? I prefer doing that instead.

I like it best fried. Unless its salmon, then I’m grilling it.

matt

I use Andy’s Cajun,no one has ever complained.Best fish I have ever eaten/made was a couple fresh Lake Superior Coho’s cooked in tinfoil over a campfire.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I like something with spice. Shorelunch or Andy’s as the first coating (pat dry with paper towel first). Then dip in egg wash and then toss in Panko. Make sure your oil is hot enough and fry till golden brown. Having the oil good and hot will not only keep them crispy but will not retain nearly as much oil in the fillet either. Serve with lemon and tartar. For fried fish, some of the best you can get.

Dave maze
    Isanti

Lately I’ve been frying my fish in bacon grease. The fish has been great. Surprisingly it doesn’t make the fish taste like bacon.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Find a breading you like or make your own. Doesn’t have to be complicated. Beer batter takes some knowledge to get the consistency correct. Make sure the filets are dry, dredge in flour, dip in egg wash and dip in breading. It can be helpful to let them sit with breading on them for 15 minutes or more to let the breading set and the egg tighten up.

Beef tallow. Makes amazing fries too. Best tasting cooking oil around.

If the filets are very thin (1/2” or less), increase your oil temp to 375. Thicker filets (1”+) use 330-350.

icefanatic11
    Birnamwood, WI

I like something with spice. Shorelunch or Andy’s as the first coating (pat dry with paper towel first). Then dip in egg wash and then toss in Panko. Make sure your oil is hot enough and fry till golden brown.

Lindy I’m curious because I have had some awful experiences with panko crumbs in the deep fryer before, do you make this recipe to pan-fry or deep-fry? I distinctly remember a college chicken strip experiment which followed this relative structure but once those strips hit the deep fryer, the panko crumbs essentially disintegrated. Perhaps it was something else I over looked in the prep/cooking process, it was college after all, but man those were terrible. Love the idea of this but just wanted to clarify before I went for it and ruined my hard caught fish. Thanks in advance.

wirivereyes
    Central WI

Crushed saltines are my go to breading.

Tried the Dots pretzel crumbs this summer, not bad, a bit too rich tasting for me. Nice change of pace though.

tswoboda

No breading, pan fried with avocado oil, lightly season with old bay or a creole seasoning.

Deep fried with Andy’s is good if you don’t like fish. My kids love it.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Lindy I’m curious because I have had some awful experiences with panko crumbs in the deep fryer before, do you make this recipe to pan-fry or deep-fry? I distinctly remember a college chicken strip experiment which followed this relative structure but once those strips hit the deep fryer, the panko crumbs essentially disintegrated. Perhaps it was something else I over looked in the prep/cooking process, it was college after all, but man those were terrible. Love the idea of this but just wanted to clarify before I went for it and ruined my hard caught fish. Thanks in advance.

Huh. Never heard of that happening really. Panko is just a very light Japanese style bread crumb. It’s widely used for deep fried foods. I’d say you should definitely give it another try.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Will never NOT use avocado oil to fry fish. Stick to cornmeal based breadings, Tony Cachere or Zaterains. The oil doesn’t leave everything greasy, comes out lighter and crisp and isn’t as terrible for you as vegetable oil.

In the end, the quality of prep to the fillets makes the largest difference.

nord

For the past 10 years nothing but putting on the grill in an aluminum pan.
    In the winter we will bake it in the oven. Shorelunch oven style and mix it with corn flake crumbs. Dip in egg and in the pan it goes. On the grill at between 325 and 350.Usually takes about 30 minutes. We usually had some type of seasoning in the Shorelunch and corn flakes crumbs.

Nodakk

Another vote here for Andy’s Cajun. We just leave the fillets damp from water and then do a single breading with Andy’s. Gives the fish a good texture without it being overpowering.

Another tip we learned is to mix sweet chili sauce with tartar sauce. About 50/50 mix. Makes a great dipping sauce and even better on fish tacos

Brittman

Dust lightly in flour, add a touch of salt or seasoning salt (lowry or cajun), and pepper.

Fry in a pan of butter.

Drop onto paper towels, pat, and hit the fillets (pieces) with just a little bit of freshly squeezed lemon juice.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I like something with spice. Shorelunch or Andy’s as the first coating (pat dry with paper towel first). Then dip in egg wash and then toss in Panko.

This is the way. Only I combine Cajun Shorelunch with the Panko (or other thicker breading), dip in egg wash, into the breading, into the fryer at 350.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quick dip in eggwhite/half&half wash, into a bag of crushed Ritz type crackers for a quick coating and into the 3/4″ deep 375 EV Olive oil for 3-5 minutes a side, depending on thickness of filet. Salt to taste… simple and delicious. For crappies, use some crushed lays ruffle potato chips for the breading. waytogo peace

CaptainMusky

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ganderpike wrote:</div>
    In the end, the quality of prep to the fillets makes the largest difference.

YES!

I think the biggest thing is once the batter is applied to let them sit for a bit to tack up.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I do tradition walleye fry in oil, at other people’s houses grin in occasion I’ll do one at my house for my daughter when she visits… cuz she’s special!

Trick to clean, non oily, delicious fillets is to maintain proper heat and have plenty of oil. I have a cult following with my frys.

Me, I enjoy them baked or pan-fried with a little butter and tend to eat the sides when I do a fry for others as I’ve had plenty in my life and they’re here for the walleye so I donate my share at the table.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Cajun shore lunch with added crushed up saltine crackers and more spice from my ground pepper shakers out of the garden

picklerick
    Central WI

Another fan of Andy’s Cajun here. I prefer to use Frank’s Red Hot as a binder, then shake in a baggie with Andy’s. I’ve been shallow frying in duck fat from grocery store lately. Just picked up some wagyu beef tallow and will try it out on the next fry.

KP
    Hudson, WI

Let the batter sit is key. Also this was brought up before on here in another thread but dont use an egg wash if using shore lunch batter. It will cause foam when frying the fish.

CaptainMusky

I dont use shorelunch anymore. I switched to Chef Roberts. I am not sure if it would have made its way to the cities, but its available in Coborns and Cash Wise in the St Cloud area. Always ends up with a very crispy end product.

JEREMY
    BP

Im not big into deep frying but dont understand why it is so bad. You can cook 2 limits of walleyes and oil level dont change. In a pan 2 limits would take a couple sticks of butter and the pan will be dry when you are done.

AK Guy

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>lindyrig79 wrote:</div>
    I like something with spice. Shorelunch or Andy’s as the first coating (pat dry with paper towel first). Then dip in egg wash and then toss in Panko.

This is the way. Only I combine Cajun Shorelunch with the Panko (or other thicker breading), dip in egg wash, into the breading, into the fryer at 350.

And for an added twist on the above, through a cup of toasted coconut in with this. Coconut fried walleye/crappie, delicious.

rsee

Found this recipe on the net but can’t remember exactly where I found it to give credit.

HONEY and RITZ CRACKER FISH BATTER

Ingredients
    • 1 large egg
    • 2 teaspoons honey
    • 2 cups crushed Ritz crackers (about 45 to 50)
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1-1/2 pounds walleye fillets
    • 1/3 to 1/2 cup canola oil
    • Optional: Minced fresh parsley and lemon wedges

Directions
    1. In a shallow bowl, beat egg; add honey. In a shallow dish, combine crackers and salt. Dip fish in egg mixture, then in cracker mixture; turn until coated.
    2. In a cast-iron or other heavy skillet, cook fillets in oil over medium heat until golden and fish flakes easily with a fork, 3-5 minutes on each side. If desired, top with parsley and serve with lemon wedges.

Haven’t tried it yet, but my wife loves to use honey in her tea. She also likes to eat fish, so we will give this a try. It sounds good, and I like RITZ crackers for breading anyway.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Shore Lunch beer batter, but before I drop any fish in I have a Yellow onion sliced up and make home onion rings that are killer with beer batter. Just saying…..

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.