Favorite VNP campsite/s ?

• HYBES
    SE MN

Anybody like to share some good campsites in VNP? So many and so little time to visit all of them. Been on several on Kabetogama.I Like ones in Lost Bay. Now there is a reservation system in place. I’m surprised it took this long to get it going. My first thought I was not in favor of a reservation system but it makes sense. Thanks

Reef W

My favorite campsite was already taken when I went to book it last night, can’t make it any more popular whistling

I’m trying out Hammer Bay Point (N69) this time, never been anywhere near that far over.

There are pictures of all (or most?) of them here: http://www.nps.gov/voya/learn/photosmultimedia/campsites.htm

All of the sites that I have seen are pretty nice but I use the photos to see what the boat landing is like mainly.

HYBES
    SE MN

I thought maybe people would hold out,perhaps a gps coord. to sway you??
    Just kidding. Yes sand and protection from the westerly winds is a high priority for me. I heard N69 was cursed???? LOL

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

When month are you planning on going, and are you open to portaging Kettle Falls?
    Is this a fishing or family trip, and how many people are in your group?
    These can help to narrow down the options.
    Spent over 350 nights camping on Namakan, eastern Rainy and eastern Kab since 1997.

HYBES
    SE MN

No time period as of yet.I am open to all areas. Wife and I to small group.
    Family had a cabin on Kabetogama,have lots of memories and so I like to revisit the area and easier on the wife than BWCA.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

RW,
    N69 is a newer campsite, it sit’s on the former Reese family cabin site.

The reason I ask size of party is that its nice to have tent pads for everyone, so if theres more than 2 tents, a large campsite it much preferred and there are way fewer of those (and it gives you 4 bear lockers instead of two).

East Kab: Shelter Bay, Lost Bay island, Peterson Point
    West Namakan: McManus island, Wolf Pack Middle and East, Williams island North
    East Nam: Rusty island, Rainbow island, Birch Cove
    East Rainy: Blueberry island, Virgin island, Fish Camp, Logging camp (it is a
    haul from the beach to the campsite tho)

I dont get to West Kab (too many resorters), Sand Point or west Rainy so cannot give any options there. Good luck finding one you like. Every trip up we go “exploring” one afternoon and check out campsites and catch some rays. The park service is updating/upgrading sites which is nice to see with the new fee structure in place

Ron
    Victoria, mn

Sorry, but I don’t advertise my favorites, just like I don’t advertise my favorite fishing spots. I’ve spent too much time & effort finding them and I’m selfish. As Yogi Berra said, nobody goes there any more, it’s too crowded. frown

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

Then why respond to the thread at all????

I saw way more unoccupied campsites last year than in years past. And I was up for 23 nights between June 4th and August 23rd. Even the VNP workers said usage was down. Watched nice sites sit open for 3-5 days straight on my 3 trips in July, that would have never happened in the “first-come” days.

zooks

RW,
    The reason I ask size of party is that its nice to have tent pads for everyone, so if theres more than 2 tents, a large campsite it much preferred and there are way fewer of those (and it gives you 4 bear lockers instead of two).

East Rainy: Blueberry island, Virgin island, Fish Camp, Logging camp (it is a
    haul from the beach to the campsite tho)

Will echo what xplorer says about size of group relative to type of campsite. Have stayed on a small site with 8 people before for a couple days and it was only OK, the extra pads/toilets/lockers would have been nice. I also avoided sites with rock accesses if possible and look for sand or dock sites only.

I’ve only been to Rainy and at small sites before the reservation system but will throw in my opinions to see if it will help.

East Rainy: have stayed at Fish Camp, Hanson, and either Finlander or Little Finlander, I don’t recall which. All very nice and would go again, Hanson is a neat site but a bit of a hike up the rocks so not for everyone.

Sites that were full but looked nice on the drive by: Windmill Rock View, Anderson Bay West, Kempton Entrance East, the other Finlander site.

West Rainy: have stayed at Arden Island and Breakwater Cove, both nice. Arden Island is busy because of the houseboat route that goes through the channel on the north side of the island but it’s secluded being tucked in the bay. Breakwater Cove also has a hike up some rocks from the lake.

Sites that were full but looked nice on the drive by: Dryweed Island, Nuthatch, Mio Beach. I’ll also make note that IMO the coolest campsite I found was Diamond Island South, a large site on West Rainy. It was comfortably holding five 17′-20′ boats with 10-12 guys when we drove by on a beautiful late July afternoon, the layout was really neat.

Hope this helps, good luck.

HYBES
    SE MN

Thanks all,good info. Sorry Ron,thanks for being honest lol. I have not camped in VNP in 8 yrs, went to a resort the last couple times- 4yrs ago. I won’t be going there a lot but like to revisit occasionally.

Ron
    Victoria, mn

Then why respond to the thread at all???? Because I want to discourage others from giving away their favorites, which also might be my favorites. And because I have as much right to respond to a post as you do.

I saw way more unoccupied campsites last year than in years past. And I was up for 23 nights between June 4th and August 23rd. Even the VNP workers said usage was down. Watched nice sites sit open for 3-5 days straight on my 3 trips in July, that would have never happened in the “first-come” days.

I do 5-day trips, Sunday-Thursday or Monday-Friday, among Rainy, Kab and Namakan. I run a tiller 16-footer, so I prefer to stay less than 10 miles from the boat ramp. Last year, the first year of the reservation system, “good” campsites (by my definition) for 5-day stretches were sometimes tough to find. This year, two of my top 3 favorites don’t have any open 5-day stretches in June. I’ve stayed at enough “bad” campsites to know what I like and want, and an open campsite for two days is worthless to me.

HYBES
    SE MN

Xplorer,people usually use these forums to communicate,learn and share knowledge.

xplorer wrote:
    Then why respond to the thread at all???? Because I want to discourage others from giving away their favorites, which also might be my favorites. And because I have as much right to respond to a post as you do.

. So you want others to be”selfish” like you?? We’re talking campsites here.lol I won’t ask for fishing spots or your favorite launch or resort cause I would hate to ruin your day…

Ron
    Victoria, mn

Everything you need to find a campsite is right here:
    http://www.nps.gov/voya/learn/photosmultimedia/campsites.htm
    http://www.shop.jnpa.com/prod-663-1-1085-295/map-voyageurs-national-park.htm

I’ve posted those links more than once on this website and others. I’m willing to point you to the resources available, but I’m not willing to do the work for you. I’ve burned a lot of gas and time over many years searching for campsites, before the campsite photos were online. I should advertise my findings on the internet? So total strangers can take advantage of my hard-earned knowledge? I don’t think so. I’ll tell you I most often use the Ash River ramp and I don’t stay at resorts, so I can’t help you there. But I won’t tell you my favorite fishing spots or favorite campsites.

I suggest not going to VNP, everyone up there is a total dick. jester

My family goes up to VNP 4-6 times a year. The reservation system is a win lose situation. We used to look for a clear patch of weather, then head up. We generally always had great weather, but finding a good camp site could take up better part of a day and a serious amount of gas. Now with the reservation system, I’ll head up in the evening and set up camp in the dark. It’s a lot more relaxing overall and you can plan your schedule a bit better to maximize vacation. We’ve also started planning trips with a couple of other families, so the rigid schedule works best for everyone. That said, the weather during my trips has been pretty urine poor the last couple of years. tongue

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>xplorer wrote:</div>

I do 5-day trips, Sunday-Thursday or Monday-Friday, among Rainy, Kab and Namakan. I run a tiller 16-footer, so I prefer to stay less than 10 miles from the boat ramp. Last year, the first year of the reservation system, “good” campsites (by my definition) for 5-day stretches were sometimes tough to find. This year, two of my top 3 favorites don’t have any open 5-day stretches in June. I’ve stayed at enough “bad” campsites to know what I like and want, and an open campsite for two days is worthless to me.

Jeez, get over yourself. I do three 5 day and two 4 day trips minimum each year. If you want “your” campsites then book’em first. I have gotten all of my favorite sites last year and this year, and plan to again next year.
    10 miles from Ash River (where I have put in on every trip since ’97) gives you a ton of nice sites to choose from, even more so if you have a smaller group (which i assume you do in a 16/tiller on a 5 day trip). Once in awhile its nice to “help a brother out”. I feel supremely lucky to have been able to spend all the time I have in VNP camping, and dont mind helping others out. After all, if I need some help in figuring out what it would take to do a spring trip to Pool 4 I would hope some of the folks here would be willing to help me out. All take and no give on these sites isn’t what its about.

fishwater, you are spot on. Really hard for spur of the moment trips now. I too have to make my trips way in advance now, but have been very lucky with the weather for the most part. 7 of 10 days on our two July trips last year were sunny and 82-89 for highs. Needless to say there was lots of beach and swim time toast Oh and a couple of cold ones may have gone down also : )

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

PS:
    HYBES if you end up on Kab let me know, I’d be happy to give a few walleye spots on the east end. I dont fish it for eye’s anymore, my early trips are spent after smallies and pike, and from July on I fish Namakan and Rainy for walleyes. (Hope I dont give Ron a heart attack with that one peace )

HYBES
    SE MN

Thank you all again.Good info! The VNP site is helpful and it gives me an idea on what’s popular too as far as availability. The stone chimney on Stagles pt,West Sphunge Island was our cabin on Kabby.I remember catching a small mouth off the dock in late 70’s and my dad didn’t believe me! They were not around at all back then.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.