Favorite steak

• Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Filet Mig wrapped in bacon. Pan sear in cast iron. peace

-J.

Ice Cap

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ice Cap wrote:</div>
    I experienced a cap of rib eye several years ago. I bought it online from a American Wagyu ranch. It ruined everything else for me after that. You might be able to get a butcher to special cut it for you but doubtful any of you’re local supermarket meat cutters will even know what it is.

I buy it about 4 times a year from the same place and have one in the freezer right now.
    You can buy it here, if you can get past the sticker shock that is.
    https://www.snakeriverfarms.com/american-kobe-beef/specialty-items/american-kobe-wagyu-cap-of-ribeye-parent.html

The waygu is good but to rich for me. I enjoy a small cut cooked rare and even some times blackened but thats it. Its a good teaser app for me. I think the Japanese is better then the American but that could be just where I get it.

Most steak I get i buy straight off the cow in huge roast form and cut my own steak.

Pure Japanese Wagyu like A5 cuts are very rich and very expensive. And yes they can be too rich for many tastes. You might like the American Wagyu better. It’s not quite as rich and carries more of that bold American beef flavor.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

chuck eye for the $$

Absolutely! These are a great sleeper steak.

T-bone gets my vote.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Ribeye, but I think sirloin has the best flavor, it’s just tougher than higher prices cuts.

I like to mix my own burgers, half sirloin and half Chuck. Or if I want gourmet, 1/4-1/3 ribeye and the rest ny strip.

Cooperman
    Nevis, Mn.

Steak-umm

Attachments:
    1. AED2F3C7-154B-40AA-A7B3-8BDB574380F4.jpeg

bfishn

Tomahawk Ribeye – smoked on pellet until 120 degrees then seared on each side at 500 (reverse sear). Pull it off, dollop of garlic herb butter, let rest for 10-15 min and you have a better steak than a $100 bill at any restaurant will buy you.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Ball tips or tri tips for this guy! Sams club for ball tips and local butcher shop for the tri tips. I prefer lean cuts and no gristle.

youngfry
    Northeast Iowa

I have found myself going flat iron more and more. Seared in cast iron with a bit of oil, flip and add butter, rosemary, and garlic. spoon over the top. Cut across the grain… I’d put that up against a strip or ribeye any day

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

All Med. Rare for all of these Elk Moose Ven Beef. Seasoned the way You Like it. . . rrr

Weekender
    Southcentral MN

Bone in ribeye for me. Either straight up, or black & blue.

I’ll throw in another vote for the tritip. Smothered in Montreal streak seasoning, grilled low & slow with your favorite wood smoke.

ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

If I am at the right steakhouse it will be filet every time.

But if I am making it myself on the grill, I have much better luck with ribeye.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

I have found myself going flat iron more and more. Seared in cast iron with a bit of oil. Cut across the grain

Top choice of steak for fajitas. Cook to medium and it’s not tough at all. Easy to bite off in a fajita.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

The biggest, thickest, fattiest Ribeye hyvee has to offer. Get the grill as hot as itll go and let it cook 3.25 to 3.75 minutes on each side. Perfection!!!

Every once and awhile I’ll whip up some killer philly cheesesteaks with some chuck roast too. I’ll have to throw the recipe up sometime. They’re to die for!

catmando
    wis

Call me Crazy, a big thick Pork steak with a good amout of fat around the edges . and of course, grilled! For me top-notch!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The biggest, thickest, fattiest Ribeye hyvee has to offer. Get the grill as hot as itll go and let it cook 3.25 to 3.75 minutes on each side. Perfection!!!

Every once and awhile I’ll whip up some killer philly cheesesteaks with some chuck roast too. I’ll have to throw the recipe up sometime. They’re to die for!

Look at the ribeye sandwich thread I made last night in the members recipe thread. Very very good stuff

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I prefer filet/tenderloin about 1.75 in thick cooked medium. Yum!

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

No name , thick and super tender

Billy J

Best cut: filet, X2

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

RIBEYE 2-2-2 if you know what that means you know how to cook a steak.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

RIBEYE 2-2-2 if you know what that means you know how to cook a steak.

Not quite, Supercat. Need more details.

2-2-2 means 2 minutes on one side, 2 minutes on the other side, then rest for 2 minutes.

This could result in a rare steak or a well-done steak, depending on the thickness and cooking method/temp.

robby
    Quad Cities

Favorite is bone in Ribeye. Best value is a Chuckeye, hands down. But I would rather, and often do eat our tender corn and soybean fed Does. Not gamey, tender, and delicious. For the record, I do not have anything against beef, or bison, or elk.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

Not quite, Supercat. Need more details.

2-2-2 means 2 minutes on one side, 2 minutes on the other side, then rest for 2 minutes.

This could result in a rare steak or a well-done steak, depending on the thickness and cooking method/temp.
    [/quote]

2-2-2 means 2 minutes one side flip 2 minutes other side flip 2 minutes first side grill vents closed. Pull steak cover and rest 10 minutes. Obviously this only works on charcoal grill. Grill temp 500-550. Try it you’ll be impressed. Steak thickness around 3/4-1″. Don’t ask me how it works it just does if you like your steak med-rare. Cooked hundreds of steaks this way.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I like filets, but I know that isn’t popular

BTW, anyone use Montreal steak seasoning? I put that sh*t on everything!!!

oh yea that Montreal seasoning is awesome. waytogo

Favorite steak .. ribeye or T-bone over charcoal rare.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

As far as value per pound; sirloin.

If cost is no factor, hard to beat a filet.

Same!

Gimme a whole tenderloin! If your buying!!

I eat a lot of top serloin.

Timmy

As far as value/price is concerned, a good old pork steak is also a solid choice.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Ribeye medium rare, and yes if you can find a good chuck eye much cheaper. Agree that most people forget about or never had a pork steak, try it if you haven’t. Either grill or fry low and slow for me.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

This whole discussion reminds me of one of my favorite scene’s from the funniest TV show out there, Letterkenny. “Montreal seasoning should be a part of this conversation…” rotflol

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.