Favorite Panfish and Walleye Ice Lines

• Brittman

So while most of us wait for enough safe ice let me start up a conversation on ice fishing line.

What is your favorite panfish ice line (brand and test weight) and why ??

What is your favorite walleye ice line (brand and test weight) and why ??

I prefer not to go back to prior years via searches … some probably have changed their line or their minds for a year ago (or last week even) anyways …

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

I use whatever is available but mostly suffix advanced ice mono in 2 or 3lb for panfish. I’ve also used 2lb vanish a lot too.
    Most of my walleye setups are spooled with trilene micro ice mono in 6lb or 8 lb. I do have a couple setup with braid and flouro leaders for deep clear water situations.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Same as Grubson I will run either Trilene Micro or Suffix for both applications. Mostly use 3 or 4 lb for panfish and 6 or 8 for eyes. Prefer the 6 unless I might hook a monster, or in pikey waters. I run mostly braid for summer but haven’t got into yet for ice.

Andy Fischer

Sufix Invisiline Ice- Fluoro in 3 lb test is my go-to for panfish. Never had issues with the occasional walleye or pike on it either.

Jimmy Jones

As soon as the overnight temps drop into the low 30’s, I take rods with the gray colored Clam Frost braid, 6 pound, during the open water period. The line is very soft and has no coiling, but it’s miserable thin line so knot tying can be a challenge when windy or low light. The lightest jigs drop on a straight line but the line will bow in a heartbeat to show an upward hit. It doesn’t seem to collect ice like some lines will when the freezing mark is neared. As the overnight temps drop into the twentys and open water starts shaling over at night I’ll switch to the same line in 3 pound for jigging dock pilings and submerged trees and other structure under the surface. I’ve used the Clam Frost braid in the gray since it was first out and love the stuff.

acarroline

3lb seagur Icx flouro on spring bobber rods for panfish

6lb neon green or black ice fireline to a small tiny spro swivel to 8lb seagur flouro on my perch/small walleye rods

8lb neon green or black ice fireline to a small tiny spro swivel to 15lb seagur flouro on my walleye rods

6lb Suffix ice mono in orange to a tiny spro swiverl to 10lb seagur flouro on my 2 longer rods that are dedicated to whole hopping.

***Used to like clam frost braid as it was softer but too many times I’ve had it snap in my hand pulling line out against drag, never had that happen with ice fireline.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Do you fish outside a lot? If not, braid is my preference for walleye. If outside some or a lot, then x3 on the Sufix Advanced. Personally I think the “ice” lines are just marketing to charge more, use regular Sufix Advanced in the winter and still works great.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Personally I think the “ice” lines are just marketing to charge more

I have wondered that more than once too.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

For me, it 3lb Sufix Ice Magic mono for my panfish rods.

Walleye rods I go with either 6lb or 8lb Sufix 832 ice braid with a barrel swivel to 8lb Ice Majic mono. This year I went with the Sufix Floro but havent been able to use it yet (

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I use whatever is available but mostly suffix advanced ice mono in 2 or 3lb for panfish. I’ve also used 2lb vanish a lot too.
    Most of my <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleye setups are spooled with trilene micro ice mono in 6lb or 8 lb. I do have a couple setup with braid and flouro leaders for deep clear water situations.

Same here

MX1825

I use Frost 3 & 4 on panfish rods and 6 & 8 lb. Frost on walleye rods. I like the Frost because it is packaged on a larger diameter spool. Seems to have less memory. I use 8lb. braid on deep lakes or big fish lakes. Floro leader on everything.

Hoyt4
    NULL

Suffix ice magic for both eyes and panfish. 6 lb for eyes and 4 lb for panfish.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

P-Line 5lb for Walleye and Sufix 2 and 4lb

Charles

Is it wrong I use 832 summer line lol. It does ice up but I don’t usually have issues until its really really cold.

dhpricco
    Twin Cities, MN

I use Berkley Sensation 2lb or 4lb for panfish and 6lb yo-zuri hybrid for walleye. That is mainly since that is what I have on hand from summer stuff. I do not buy into ice specific line. I do buy different colors based of lb test so that I can just look at it and know if it is 2, 4, or 6lb line.

deertracker

I love the orange 3lb Ice Magic.
    DT

PmB

3lb ice magic for panfish. Haven’t found a floro or mono that doesn’t suck for eyes

fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

Trilene micro ice 3 lbs. for panfish and 6 for walleyes. I have always used Trilene so I thought I would give the micro ice a try. I have no complaints.

lrott2003
    Wisconsin

Suffix Ice magic 3 lb for panfish. I use this inside or outside. I like the clear but tying is a challenge as I age… they do make an orange that is easier to see.

For walleye if I am inside my shack I use like 8-10 suffix braid to a 6-12 pound leader with UNI knot. Leader depends on water clarity more than anything. I use PLine Fluro (open water) line for leader.

If I am outside jigging for walleye I use straight PLine (open water) Fluro in that 6-8 pound range. I have not had any issues compared to ice line using regular line.

Good luck!

BCNeal
    Bloomington, MN

As soon as the overnight temps drop into the low 30’s, I take rods with the gray colored Clam Frost braid, 6 pound, during the open water period. The line is very soft and has no coiling, but it’s miserable thin line so knot tying can be a challenge when windy or low light. The lightest jigs drop on a straight line but the line will bow in a heartbeat to show an upward hit. It doesn’t seem to collect ice like some lines will when the freezing mark is neared. As the overnight temps drop into the twentys and open water starts shaling over at night I’ll switch to the same line in 3 pound for jigging dock pilings and submerged trees and other structure under the surface. I’ve used the Clam Frost braid in the gray since it was first out and love the stuff.

You’re 100% right. Clam Frost braid is great but a total PITA to tie.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.