Favorite hair jig

• ScottSchreiber
    NULL

You get to pick one brand/make of hair jig to fish the Mississippi with for the next 5 years. What is it?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

People buy hair jigs?

Guess I’m out. Box of 100 all homemade. Same with walleye flies.

Can’t imagine paying for a jig when I can make an for cents.

My favorite hair jig is a leadhead, orange thread, thin amount of black buck.

ScottSchreiber
    NULL

I knew that was coming! Ive tied a few, results were less than impressive.

ScottSchreiber
    NULL

IF i could limit myself to a few colors of bucktail that would be fine. But can guarantee if i got into it would end up with 20 different colors plus various flash and tinsel laying around.

ScottSchreiber
    NULL

You got a pic of some of yours handy? Roughly how long are you tying them?

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Personally I’m a big fan of the VMC hair jigs. Both the moontail and the BJK bucktail. I really like the paint finish and the hooks they use.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

I use Hutch’s hair jigs for most of my fishing needs, they seem well made and he has a lot of color options to chose from as well.

Jimmy Jones

I’m in the same boat as FBRM…. keep jigs simple. The fish could care less about fancy. If fancy is your thing, fine, but you are only impressing yourself. I make a ton of jigs and will sometimes add eyes if the head has the sockets to add eyes. I do this only to take pictures, Otherwise I don’t add eyes to my jigs for fishing because the fish could give a rip. Simple catches as many if not more fish than fancy.

Aboxy17

I like the VMC but the paint on the VMC jigs just doesn’t hold up well enough for me. I like the Northland deep v hair jigs a little better.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I like the VMC but the paint on the VMC jigs just doesn’t hold up well enough for me

That’s interesting because their paint seems to hold up the best for me. Last year in Canada I had one jig last me a few days before it got bit off. It probably had close to a 100 walleye and pike bite it, plus bounce off a lot of gravel and rocks. The paint shill looked fairly good given the beating it took. The supply of them I have is rather old, maybe they have had a change to their paint or process on newer ones.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

The VMC ones that just shipped to my door had the paint beat up and chipping off while still in the package.

I’m probably going back to the Northland ones for future purchases. If the paint is going to chip off, I might as well save a couple bucks on the front end for similar durability.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

IDO member Trumar >>> @trumar makes/sells nice (less is more) hair jigs for fishing the river. Also available at several retail locations. Shoot him a PM for more info or look him on FB @ Jeff Trumar

-J.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

The VMC ones that just shipped to my door had the paint beat up and chipping off while still in the package

That’s a real Bummer. Like so many manufactures these days, they probably made some changes to lower the cost and the quality suffered. Hope my supply of older ones last for awhile. Probably have to try something different when time to get more.

ScottSchreiber
    NULL

I know around p5 Alma the aspirin head ones with the treble stingers are popular. They sell them lots of places in single packs on cards, forget the brand (there are several that style)

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I tie my own. Last year the most productive pattern was Yellow bucktail with a bit of golden Flashabou. 3/16th ounce jig head and total length about 3 to 3.5 inches.

SR

Hydro
    Brainerd Mn

The Virgil Ward original Bass Buster marabou jig. IMHO nothing comes close to the action and slow drop of this jig. I buy all I can find on eBay……Dynamite walleye jig…..

Bertha

Rocky’s Purple/Lime Green to be specific

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I make my own. You can get into it for less than you think. I used to sell a bunch of them every year. If you are just starting off use your wife, girlfriend, mom’s, someone’s nail polish and paint the jig head. Buy a couple of bucktails and some rod building thread. I prefer rod building thread since it is the same A size but is much stronger than most out there. Add some head cement and go fishing. There is not much to it. Even the ugly, first attempt jigs will catch fish.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Thanks for shout out John Jordon
    All my Hair Jigs are colors/weights are designed for Pool 2 down to Pool 16 of the Mississippi river
    I spent a great of time to perfet the colors and the finish on all my jigs to withstand chipping,in the 5 years I have owned my company and painted I have not had one complaint on any of my products !

Due to being busy I am not on here much But can be reach facebook either under Jeff Trumar or True Tied Tackle LLC. You can message me at either place…One can messaage me here on IDO but may take a little time to see it

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.