Fantasy Football Draft Help

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Not sure how many here are FF guys, but I thought I’d try and get help on our upcoming draft. We have a 10 team league. We use the standard PPR scoring system. I am pick 7. So I will have pick 7 and then pick 14. Given the fact that in our league like most, the top Running backs normally are take in the 1st round. So if ours plays out like most mock drafts, Taylor, McCaffrey, Ekeler, Henry, cook, and harris may be gone by pick 7. Possibly wr’s Kupp, Jefferson, and Chase as well. Assuming that the top 4 running backs are gone. What one of the next running backs should I take? Or should I switch to the next best WR remaining? Or go really crazy and take one of the top QB choices. In a idea world Cook or Henry would still be available for pick 7 and maybe a Good RB or Top WR would still be available for pick 14, If not there should still be a top QB. What order would you rank the top 3 QB’s ?

Greg Krull
    South Metro / Pool 4

How many of each of the positions do you play each week? Flex, Super flex, etc?

Tom Albrecht
    Eau Claire

My top 3 QB’s would be in this order. Allen, Burrow & Herbert.

After the top couple RB’s, they really drop off. I would try to get a RB with your first pick (Mixon/Cook/Harris). Allen is the only QB I would be willing to draft early but probably not 1st round.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

How many of each of the positions do you play each week? Flex, Super flex, etc?

Start – 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex ( must be RB, wr, or TE ) 1 Def, 1 Kicker

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

After the top couple RB’s, they really drop off. I would try to get a RB with your first pick (Mixon/Cook/Harris). Allen is the only QB I would be willing to draft early but probably not 1st round.

I think Harris will be, Mixon almost for sure, I kind of doubt Cook ( Lots of homer guys in our league ) I’d love it if Allen fell to me at the 14th Pick, but I doubt it. Not sure if he’s worth the 7th pick or not. Just depends on how the Rb’s fall.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

a lot of mock drafts don’t show the 1st Qb going till at least round #3 and most not till the 4th round. I just feel like the fall off at QB after the top few is Greater than the fall off in RB’s

Ripjiggen

DO NOT TAKE A QB IN THE FIRST ROUND.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

What about if the top one is available at the 14th overall pick in the 2nd round ?

Greg Krull
    South Metro / Pool 4

With playing two RB’s and being able to flex an RB, I agree with the other’s to not take a QB in the first two rounds. Only starting one QB will leave plenty of talent at that position for later rounds.

buschman
    Pool 2

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>

What about if the top one is available at the 14th overall pick in the 2nd round ?

I would stay away from a QB till round 5-6 if not much later in a 10 man league. I would take a TE before thinking QB if you get the chance at a Kelce. With only 10 guys drafting there will be a top 10 QB left to waiver. Stick with your power horse guys in round 1-4 for sure. Remember that a TE is very important in your format.

Matt Vogel

Do not take a QB that early in a 10 man league. Here is ESPN’s rankings of QBs based on 5 expert rankings this year:
    1. Josh Allen
    2. Mahomes
    3. Herbert
    4. Lamar Jackson
    5. Kyler Murray
    6. Jalen Hurts
    7. Brady
    8. Russel Wilson
    9. Joe Burrow
    10. Prescott

The difference between 1 and 10 in a 10 man ppr league is not worth drafting a QB anywhere in the first 6 or 7 rounds IMO. Load up RB’s and WR’s the first 6 rounds unless you find value at TE somewhere in round 3 or 4. Once you get past about the top 5 TE’s there is quite the drop off so you just have to play your draft by ear and see what the others are doing.

Dan
    Southeast MN

I agree with buschman, in a 10-team league I’d be perfectly fine being the last to draft a QB.

The TE position, in my opinion, is one to hit on. He mentioned Travis Kelce, who routinely scores as well or better than most WR’s. Think about that, if you have a few good WR’s plus you get all those points from the TE position, you’d be sitting great. There’s such a drop-off at that position that if you can get one of the top 2-3 you’ll be sitting good.

Most of the time I couldn’t care less who my defense is, I usually end up streaming them anyway based on matchups. I’ve spent almost entire seasons just playing whatever defense is playing teams like the Giants or Jets.

Take a kicker with one of your last 2 picks, but that can be streamed as well. If possible I’ve always tried to get one on a decently high-scoring offense. It’s such a crapshoot with that position though because I’ve had the Chiefs kicker before and they’ll score 35 points and he’ll just be kicking extra points all day.

RB Handcuffs can be pretty valuable. For example, I’ve always tried to get Alexander Mattison. Dalvin seems to miss a few games every year. If there’s a stud RB it can pay off to draft their backup later in drafts because their offense may continue to run the same even if they’re out, meaning their backup (handcuff) can be huge.

Lastly, I would say print out some mock drafts to reference, and when the laptop (or your phone) is moving along with the draft, you really can’t go wrong with drafting best available based on what you need. You’ll likely, and I’ve seen it plenty, have a guy or two or more on auto-draft, and those teams seem to do pretty well. When in doubt just look at who’s available based on rankings.

I think you might’ve just put the bug in me….it’s been about 3 years now that I’ve said I won’t play fantasy football, I’ll only join a league if asked, and I’ve never been able to get away from it…it can be a lot of fun.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

top 9 IMO for PPR

Taylor
    Mccaffery
    Kupp
    Henry
    Ekeler
    Harris
    Cook
    Jefferson
    Chase

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

I wouldn’t touch a QB in a 1 QB standard scoring league until maybe the 5th

BigWerm
    SW Metro

In your league, I wouldn’t take a QB until late, like 6th round or later. Same with TE’s unless you really like one in rounds 3-6. Spend your top picks (like until round 6) on RB’s and a top WR or two. The reason RB’s are so valuable is bc there are very few of them, and the drop off from top 5 RB to top 20 RB is huge, whereas the drop off from Top 5 WR/QB/TE to top 20 is negligible (and hard to predict). Plus you will need RB depth, some or all of your top RB’s will get hurt.

Aboxy17

The drop-off after the top 10 QBs vs the drop-off after the top 10 RBs is very different I would for sure wait until later rounds and just get a middle of the road QB or get an upper end QB that falls down the board like a Dak Prescott. The ADP for McCaffery is far too high considering he has not had a 100-yard rushing game since 2019. I would stick with a young talented RB as much as I like Cook when you look at the drop-off of some of these RBs as they get older it is a cause for some concern

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I can’t believe that the old man can’t get any love at QB. He lead the league in Yardage last year and in TD’s as well. He threw for 300+ more yards and had 5 more Td’s than Herbert and 900 more yards and 7 more Td’s than Allen last year and they have him ranked at 7. Then again he’s 45 years old and father time has to catch up with him at some point.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Some real-life stars fall fantasy victims to their own success. For years Brady hasn’t ranked real high because often leading games by two scores and they don’t need to keep their foot on the gas anymore. Sometimes the best fantasy QB’s or even other players are the ones on average teams that are battling every game, so their QB will be trying to move the ball downfield all game.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I can’t believe that the old man can’t get any love at QB. He lead the league in Yardage last year and in TD’s as well. He threw for 300+ more yards and had 5 more Td’s than Herbert and 900 more yards and 7 more Td’s than Allen last year and they have him ranked at 7. Then again he’s 45 years old and father time has to catch up with him at some point.

You can get Brady, or QB’s that put up similar #s (cough Cousins cough) real late in a snake draft. In today’s NFL there’s about 20-25 QB’s that put up serviceable fantasy #’s, and only 10-14 starters in a FF League. Plus the guys who draft a QB early will not draft his backup until the last couple rounds, if they are smart.

stout93
    Becker MN

Was playing Fantasy before ESPN, highlights and the magazines.

Had to get up early Monday morning before school and run outside to grab the newspaper. Then sat down at the table and added up all the stats from the previous day games for all the teams (4) in my league.

Quit playing 20 or so years ago when the person that won the league bought a fantasy magazine on the way to the draft…she knew nothing about football.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I am with these other guys on draft advice. Don’t take a QB until at least your 4th pick. If Allen or Mahomes is available at that point I might consider it.

My draft is on Sept 1. Don’t know what pick I have yet.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Did you guys see this when you logged in:

“MOST topics are welcome. Posts of fantasy football, political or religious nature will be deleted.”

I’m gonna have to report this thread.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Here’s how you win a 10 man:

Don’t be the first to draft a QB and don’t pick a kicker higher than the last round. Also make sure to pick a TE early this year. I suggest Andrews somewhere near the turn.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

As everyone has said…don’t touch a QB before one of your last 3-4 picks.

Do your research and find starting RBs who have very little push from a backup or change of pace back.

Mccaffrey in a PPR league is worth the high pick, but in a non-PPR league I’d run from him.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I am with these other guys on draft advice. Don’t take a QB until at least your 4th pick. If Allen or Mahomes is available at that point I might consider it.

My draft is on Sept 1. Don’t know what pick I have yet.

Mine is Sept 1st as well. Good luck in yours. I’ve been cursed with my first round picks. Either they get injured early or they are the bust of the year. mccaffery one year – hurt and out for the season. Cook a few years ago. Injured most of the season. Thomas as WR the year he was the top WR. – Bust

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Mine is Sept 1st as well. Good luck in yours. I’ve been cursed with my first round picks. Either they get injured early or they are the bust of the year. mccaffery one year – hurt and out for the season. Cook a few years ago. Injured most of the season. Thomas as WR the year he was the top WR. – Bust

Haha. Ya, that tends to happen. Usually after a stud has an incredible season, they get hurt. Not uncommon at all. I had McCaffrey three years ago when he played the whole season and he was a freak. Two years ago I had Henry when he rushed for over 2000 yards. Ironically, both of those guys got hurt the year after I had them. If I draw the top pick I’m probably going to take Taylor even though he’s now due to get injured.

big_g
    Isle, MN

RB,RB,WR/RB/TE,TE/RB,WR,QB,WR,K,RB,WR,DEF

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

RB,RB,WR/RB/TE,TE/RB,WR,QB,WR,K,RB,WR,DEF

That’s only 11 rounds. The OP is in a 10 man league so I am assuming he has more than 11 roster spots. In my 10 man league we have 18 roster spots. 8 starting positions and 10 bench players.

big_g
    Isle, MN

After 11, who cares ? Caveat… I usually come in 2nd or 3rd… crazy doah rotflol

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

After 11, who cares ?

What if your QB gets hurt?

Players have bye weeks too you know.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.