Fancyheat

• Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Anybody ever use canned Fancyheat for heating a small hunting or ice shack? Do they work good enough for a little emergency heat? I need something small and portable for thawing kids out if they get cold in the boonies.

-Gregg

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

Having used this stuff for keeping food warm in a large tent, and having my eyes burn and run from the fumes, I would not recommend it. The product is methyl or ethyl alcohol, depending on what you purchase, and gives off fumes as it burns and the can has a warning to use in a well ventilated area.

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Thanks Art, I guess I just need to teach my kids to dress warmer. I’ll stick with hand and toe warmers in their gloves and boots. Fumes from propane heaters have already gotten to me in the past so I’m not looking for a repeat for an alternate heating source.

-Gregg

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

As a kid, my one uncle taught me a survival trick to warm up that works pretty well. Get a Candle Lantern and the lamp oil burner that replaces the candle and a heavy space blanket- the ones with a shiny reflective side and a colored side. Light the candle lantern and wrap the frozen kid in the blanket and have them carefully hold the lantern or place it at there feet. The blanket traps the heat and creates a nice cozy tent of heat. I usually use clothes pins to hold the space blanket shut and the small gaps left don’t hinder the heating. I use to use candles but the oil is more user friendly to refill than having to scrape the old candle wax out to install a new candle. I also used to use the lantern to raise the temperature inside of my tent when winter camping. Ultra pure lamp oil is best by the way.

http://www.rei.com/c/candle-lanterns

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Now that’s not a bad suggestion at all. For the price I’ll have to test a latern. Glad I asked, thanks for the tip.

-Gregg

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.