Family dog help

• diesel
    Menomonee Falls, WI

Talked to the wife and gave her the seal of approval that it is time to look at getting another dog. Had a great little girl shar pei (Esse) that went to doggie heaven several years ago. Well my wife has been wanting a dog and our 9 year old son who has asthma and allergies really likes the idea. Now that being said I love dogs but am concerned about getting a dog with my son’s asthma. Doctor says to hold off on getting a dog as long as possible and will be talking to him soon about it.

So that being said what breeds are good family dogs and do not shed too bad. Not looking for a big dog but want someone to go in the boat, good temperment and be a family pet. I know this is a lot and is wide open but my only other dog was the great american mutt when I was kid and I got Esse the shar pei with the marriage who is in heaven.

If there is any questions that you may have that I could answer that will help whittle the breeds down I would appreciate it.

Thanks for any help.

Derek

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Cockapoos shed very little.

Attachments:
    1. image5.jpg

Zach Peterson
    Austin, Mn

Not that they are manly by any stretch of the imagination but…. we have 2 shih tzus and they are great dogs.

iowa roger
    North central Iowa

I reccommend getting a rescue shelter dog. I got my Lillie at one, she was a year and a half old, now is spoiled brat, and is very intelligent.
    She was house broke, a maltese and shitzu mix, no shedding and learnes very quickly and want to please us.
    Im I bragging ? YES
    Lots of Rescue Shelters online, with nice photos and all. I drove about 150 miles down the road to get our Lillie, she is such a baby. I fell in love with her the minute I saw her at the shelter.
    Hope this helps.
    Oh ya, she is sleeping at my feet as I type this.

KG25
    Lakeville, MN

Not that they are manly by any stretch of the imagination but…. we have 2 shih tzus and they are great dogs.

I’ll 2nd that. We had 2 of them when I was growing up and now I have one of my own with my family. I am allergic to dogs that shed and cats, but I have no problems with our shih tzu. Good combo of great temperament and no shedding.

fargotridad

Weimaraner. I have bad allergies. They shed little and only twice a year. I have had three now and I think this is the only dog for my family. They love to fish and hunt. If you are getting a pup let them choose you. I have had two rescue dogs that went back to the breader. They are extremely smart almost too much. They must be with you at all times.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.