Fall Transition

• FryDog62

Its Sept 1 and for many that means the final 60 days of the bass season. I was out once this past week and maybe for the first time saw some sign of Fall as I caught a few fish scattered on flats with a swim jig. A lot is going to change in the weeks ahead – feel free to post water temps, depths, lures, patterns that are working, etc.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’m excited for the fish to finally make the transition. This being stuck in the middle has me scratching my head the last 2 outings

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

August was a ridiculous month of fishing for me. It was better than June and July combined. A lot better. The water temps dropped from 80+ in late July to about 76-77 and stayed there for weeks. Plus we also actually had weather changes and rain, creating low pressure fronts which definitely help my success rate.

Most of my fish since late July have also come on an aggressive, moving lure approach. I haven’t even tried to use a slower, soft plastic approach because I haven’t needed to.

blank

These past 3 days (1 day, 2 evenings) have been very slow for me, the worst all season, despite the cooler temps. I had very nice average size last Wednesday evening using a tube jig, but basically nothing on the same lake on Monday evening using the same thing. Tried a DT7 and topwater a little and those were dead too. A bit frustrating when considering the cooler weather and water temps (71-74 deg).

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I can’t wait to break out the moving baits again. I don’t know how much more of the ned rig or drop shotting I can stomach. This is also the time where the spook starts to get crushed. Love working that over weed flats near deep water!

blank

I can’t wait to break out the moving baits again. I don’t know how much more of the ned rig or drop shotting I can stomach. This is also the time where the spook starts to get crushed. Love working that over weed flats near deep water!

Last night on a different lake I had some action on a skitter prop. Unfortunately I didn’t start throwing it until late in the evening, and of course I landed less than half of the fish that I hooked with it. I’ve had a bad streak of fish throwing the bait and becoming unhooked.

Umy
    South Metro

I have been having luck in South Metro and down by Waterville with both the Ned and topwaters.
    The Ned is the 10″ Googan Curly Tail worm in Natural ( green top and silver bottom) – 6-10 ft of water on the edges of banks and on weed edges. Still having good luck w blue/sparkle 4.5′ tubes too.

tim hurley

Moving & bigger-this is the time of year the muskie guys report getting BIG bass.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

It’s almost whopper plopper 180 or 190 season.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

It’s almost whopper plopper 180 or 190 season.

Do you toss that enormous thing for bass? I’ve got one but I use it for muskie fishing.

Sylvanboat

Just got back from Rainy Lake and guide has us casting Whopper Ploppers and other top waters.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Yes the big whoppers get thrown for bass. I bought them for big pike and had better success with bass.
    Now however when I use them for bass I never get hit.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Now however when I use them for <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>bass I never get hit.

Amazing how that works. Muskie lures get bass until you start using them for bass, and bass lures catch muskie until you actively target muskies with them.

FryDog62

Just got back from Rainy Lake and guide has us casting Whopper Ploppers and other top waters.

I’m still partial to the 105 size Choppo topwater for bass – for both lmb and especially smb. They liked it on Rainy last time I was there in September waytogo

Attachments:
    1. E1EC9416-9155-4756-8129-D83B1D338F51_1_201_a.jpeg

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

The upper Mississippi is getting better,too. Mid 50 degree water is the ticket. Got a ways to go

mrpike1973

Hello everybody finally back. Wife and I had Covid For 2 weeks wife is back on track, I’m going back to work on Tuesday Let’s just say I’m glad to be alive. So yesterday I felt somewhat human. Went to a local lake. I should have brought help I literally forgot how to start my motor and panicked when I accidentally hit spotlock and the motor just started moving on itself. Any way the first fish a spunky 29 inch pike was my first trophy The old saying there is no problem big enough when you have a fish pulling on the other end is so true. Temp was 69 degrees right before it rained found them all in the weeds on top spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, bass jig and craw and got 2 on a ned rig with 3 inch craw Total of 9 fish. All I can say is I’m glad I’m alive. Fish On yay

FryDog62

Wow, sounds like quite an ordeal but glad you’re back now with a tug on the line!

tim hurley

Nice fish & glad you are alive!

tim hurley

Great fish Fry-great to get them on toppies

FryDog62

Had to go check in on a few old friends this am…

Attachments:
    1. 7E2B8E95-3752-434D-96F3-BA7282C12655.jpeg

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Nice white! Are they starting to school up?

FryDog62

Nice white! Are they starting to school up?

Only a couple today, I think the schooling might just be starting, will be better in a few weeks…

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Is there any correlation with those and smallies?

FryDog62

Is there any correlation with those and smallies?

The Whities are more likely to be out in open water chasing food. We started to see some of the flocks of birds and followed some, there will be more of that. Better than Livescope ;)

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Glad your on the mend Mr. Pike!

I got out in the mist the other day and caught a few on the ned and a few on a DT10 burning it through weed tops at about 10-15 ft. Absolutely love that bite.

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

Went old school today. Waded the Crow Wing River at my in-laws in Motley. Smallies were hitting tubes on a seam by an eddy. One on topwater and a nice walleye on a pink x-rap. Before I got a boat I trudged through Rivers quite a bit. Swims trunk and old shoes. Some better than others. Today was fun. I bet it was windy on the lakes.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Went old school today. Waded the Crow Wing River at my in-laws in Motley. Smallies were hitting tubes on a seam by an eddy. One on topwater and a nice walleye on a pink x-rap. Before I got a boat I trudged through Rivers quite a bit. Swims trunk and old shoes. Some better than others.

I usually do this every summer. Those smaller sized rivers receive minimal pressure too. I never did much wading but I do a lot of floating in a shallow drafting Jon boat. It can float through 2 inches of water. Smallmouth fishing in those rivers is awesome and I catch most of my fish on top waters. Those river smallies are incredible fighters too. You swear you had a 19 incher on and when you see it, it’s only a 13.

Unfortunately the water is so low this summer I couldn’t even float it with my Jon boat. Only one other year has it been this shallow and that was in 2012.

mrpike1973

Sunday water temp 68 degrees wife with deep clear lake everything right in the weeds or weed edges. All on Ned rigs with 4 inch craws total of 20 mostly smaller ones tried bass jigs and spinnerbaits they never touched one. The temps are dropping pretty steady. Night lows at 50 will cool off fast. Thanks for the kind words all I’m so glad to be back unfortunately I have some slight memory loss and tingling in my finger tips but it seems to be getting better. Now if I could find my boat devil

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

68 degrees this morning. Found fish everywhere I went, they were not grouped. It seemed like 1 fish from every spot I stopped. All bigger fish came from shallow bull rush on a jig.

Attachments:
    1. 20210906_070553-scaled.jpg

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

It’s a tough spot when have a nice one on, no net, and they are almost swimming between your legs. I need to do it more often.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 157 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.