Fall Fishing Reports

• Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Anybody finding crappie yet? I retire tomorrow after 25+ years of public service at the UW and need to readjust my priorities – I haven’t been on the water since the first weekend in August – disgusting!!! Anyway, I am hoping to catch up or at least be ready for first ice. I picked up a new crossbow so I have another fall distraction from the water. Are there still fish in the rivers?

BTW, I have a new phone number. Anyone wishing to know it will need to send me a message.

-Gregg

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

plenty of crappies to be had on the Wolf. You have to be willing to go in after’m”. Tight in timber and we look more like climbing in/through trees to get to them. Some days relating to maples and others to willows. Once you find them you can tree jump for miles hitting school after school

z-man
    Dousman, WI

First of all, congrats on the retirement, Greg; and I thought you were still in high school. rotflol But the old fart ranks are growing with Wefish and me leading the charge, Haven’t been on the Rock yet this fall, but soon. As for crappie, got a couple on Waubesa on Tuesday targeting gills, along with some 8.5 to 9 inch gills. Will even tell you where as a retirement gift if you want to know; just shoot me a pm.

bronzbak
    Long way from home

They are in the trees but most are to big for me to keep. bawling

I tried for eyes also yesterday and had 1 legal. 17″ and 2 shorties. Water is really nice flow and level is good. Just need the temp down to lower 60’s still to warm.

jeff-patrick
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Someone mention crappies….lol – Gregg congrats!

Attachments:
    1. crappie-8.29.15.jpg

2. Nice-crappie-8.24.15.jpg

3. 2-crappie-8.24.15.jpg

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Nice fish Jeff, just what I figured. I definitely have been missing out and hoping that changes real soon.

z-man
    Dousman, WI

It’s time to revive this thread. Out on the Rock a few times in the past three weeks. Water temps dropped to 49 on Oct. 18, then back up to 54 two days later, and staying up in the range of 54 to 57 since. Good action with dinks when they were down and white bass as well, but yesterday, only got 10 dinks, no white bass, and 5 goats.Started the solo trip fishing before the sun came up and poked a nice 26 inch eye two minutes into it, but things faded from there. Gave up chasing eyes at 1 pm and decided to try for crappie in the wood.Fifth stop was a charm and boated 6 nice crapps ranging from 11.5 to 13.5 inches. Finished the day chasing eyes again, and boated two more dinks, Giving it a rest till later in the week.

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Thanks for the report, it sounds like it could be shaping up for a great bite in November for those that haven’t packed it up already. 60’s to start the month! So much for looking forward to first ice.

Happy (safe) Halloween!

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

I had a great time with them on the Wolf a couple weeks back, then last week, on pool 9, it was lights out when you got on a school. Dead sticks, and jigging a 1/6th oz weedless jig deep in the wood. Found a few schools that averaged 11-12″ on a tape. Released three 14″ plus fish. Been a very long time since I got into that average. Minnows seemed to way out perform plastics.

Never been on the Rock.. why I don’t know, drive right past it on the way to a much further away destination.

z-man
    Dousman, WI

Was out all day yesterday, with water temps down to 48 degrees. Once again, popped a nice one (20 incher) a few minutes into it in the dark, and that was it for legals. Got into some undersize in most places we fished, along with some big white bass, many pushing 14 inches. Went back into the wood where I got the crappie last time out, and tried a few other places as well, with not a one. Nevertheless, great day on the water with buddies and even got to chat with the elusive JP. Back for more next week.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.