Pool 4 this week

• magnum165
    Baldwin, WI

With the warmer weather this week, do you guys think the river conditions will change at all from this past weekend? If we do see some change how do you think the fish will react?

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

In a perfect world…we would retain the cold evening temps and the thaw will be slow and consistent…waters will rise and clarity will decrease at a slow consistent pace. The fish will adjust, spreading out, still seeking relief from the current. More fish will be drawn out of Lake Pepin.

If there is a sudden rain/storm during warmer weather…we could have a LOT of water coming south…pushing fish just about anywhere.

The bite will definitely change, hard to predict just how.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

So you think either way, the cold snow melt would drop the water temp and knock the bite off for a while till the fish acclimate? I think that would be my guess. So I’d also think about slowing down the presentation to….

hairjig
    Cudahy, Wis.

Well put Tom , In a perfect world !!!!!!!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

This is one of the few times during the year there are minnows in my boat. It seems to me when the run off drops the water temps the bite does change to a minnow bite. Sure am glad that doesn’t last very long.

Charlie “Turk” Gierke
    Hudson Wisconsin

Quote:

the cold snow melt would drop the water temp and knock the bite off for a while till the fish acclimate?

In winter the water temp on P4 is normally 33 to 34. Right now the water temp is 37 degrees. It has rose this whole week during the snow melt.
    A guy would naturally think the snow melt would drop the water temp, but that doesn’t really happen. Check your water temps I think you will find the same. As long as the days are steadily in the low 40’s the temp will rise, regardless of snow melt. A cold front will drop the water temp.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Quote:

the cold snow melt would drop the water temp and knock the bite off for a while till the fish acclimate?

In winter the water temp on P4 is normally 33 to 34. Right now the water temp is 37 degrees. It has rose this whole week during the snow melt.
    A guy would naturally think the snow melt would drop the water temp, but that doesn’t really happen. Check your water temps I think you will find the same. As long as the days are steadily in the low 40’s the temp will rise, regardless of snow melt. A cold front will drop the water temp.

Applying a little physics. Shouldn’t more run off create more friction between water molecules. Therefore increasing or maintaining water temps (all be it slightly).

Just a thought.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Depending on how far the melted snow has to travel over a dark sun exposed surface, I ‘spose.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.