Fireline Crystal

• sbr_it

Was thinking of putting Fireline Crystal on a walleye jigging rod and wonder if anyone here uses it and what you think of it. Also, what pound test would you recommend going with? Thanks.

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

For the past 2 or maybe even 3 years years now that is what I have used. I have it on every jigging, casting, and trolling rod I own. I use 8 lb for trolling, and either 6 or 8 for jigging/pitching. I use 6lb when fishing sandy areas, or where the isnt a ton of snags or rock, and 8lb where there is.
    It has worked great for me over the years

matt pistorio
    Chicago, IL

I have been using Fireline on every setup I use now due to its sensitivity and low stretch on hook sets. I prefer to use the flame green color instead due to its ability to tip you off on light bites. I like to tie a 18″ leader of berkeley vanish to top it off. double uni know works perfect.

jhalfen

I use 14/6 crystal on some of my trolling rods….especially when I’m trolling after dark. The crystal really lights up at night when you shine a headlamp on it.

I use 8/3 crystal for pitching blades and dragging jigs upstream.

haasjj
    Cordova, IL

Didn’t like the Crystal, but I did get the Invisi-braid and it is pretty translucent. The crystal looked white in the water to me.

sbr_it

What is the purpose of going with the leader? What test should that be and do you feel it necessary?

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Do be warned when putting any type of braid on a jigging rod. I would recommend that a lighter action rod is used as there isn’t enough give in the rod/braided-line combo to keep fish effectively hooked up. I may or may not know this from experience…

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

I will generally use the next size smaller of mono to tip of the FL. I would not jig or cork with out tipping. trolling and blades i generally dont tip. However waterclarity should dictate the length of leader. thats just how i roll. im sure others are different.

jerry b
    western WI

Not for me-I bought a spool of Crystal last spring. Had a horrible time tying it, ended up throwing it in the wood stove. Considered it a good lesson and went back to Trilene for leaders. jerr

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

Had a bad experience with crystal 2 years ago and went back to power pro UNTIl this past spring ran it for throwing blades and jigging and now it is going on all my trolling rods. Much much better than when it first came out!

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Quote:

What is the purpose of going with the leader?

Some folks think that the walleye will see the line and not bite.

This is the same fish that swims into gill nets, right?

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I was (And still am) a big fan of Crystal for pitching blades. I have since switched to the Stren Braid that Dean turned me on to this Spring…I had great luck with Suffix Performance Braid and Crystal…but the Stren does not fray. At all! It has held up unbelievably well!

bosman
    DeSoto, WI

I’ve been fishing original fused flame green Fireline for well over a year now. 14/6 & 20/8. Wouldn’t stick with it if I didn’t like it!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.