Walleye Rods.. if you could only pick 2

• david_scott
    Twin Cities

What is everyones preference on walleye rods these days? I a talking about jigging and rigging rods mainly.

If you could only choose 2, what would they be? Why?

If you could change anything about the rds out there, or if you were to build your own.. what would be different?

walleyewacker18
    Rice Lake, WI

My st.croix 6’3″ jigging stick and a Cabelas planer board rod 9′ with a sealine reel to troll with

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Haver to a agree with the StCroix 6`3 for jigging.

I`m a little different I really like the Ugly Stick light for trolling wing dams and short trolling runs. A soft enough tip to read how my plug is running and enough back bone to handle bigger fish. I use this rod more then any of my other trolling rods when fishing small areas. It will cast a no. 5 Frenzie or shad rap well which to me on short runs is a real plus, but can allso handle the bigger cranks. I beleive a real price value for the rod and it is one tough sun of a gun.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I would say my St. Croix Avid 6’6” med fast tip spinning rods which are great all around rods and my St. Croix Premier 7′ med baitcaster trolling rods which are also great all around rods. These are my go to rods. St. Croix makes some very sensitive rods.
    Thanks, Bill

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Avid 6’3″ extra-fast medium for jigging. No better rod for this application has ever graced my hands. Not too short, not too long, and excellent give on the tip for supurb feel combined with a suttleness capable hiding your presence from the fish too, even when using no-stretch lines.

For rigging, I’m not sure I understand the question. Are we talking about planer boards/trolling, down riggers, or finesse techniques like Lindy Rigging and crawler harnesses and such?

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Limit Creek LCS69MLF spinning rod for jigging. I really love mine for tossing jigs, and it has more than enough guts to handle a bigger fish. Dave, the first fish I caught on this rod was a 26 inch Channel Cat and the rod handled him just fine.

Rootski

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I was talking about live bait rigs.. lindy’s, etc.

Trolling is a whole different world… too many variables that can require a wide range of different rods.

One of the main reasons(other than just dscussion) I am asking this is because I will be building custom rods and marketing some rods in the future. Custom rods are one thing… you build what people are asking for.. marketing on the other hand… I would rather build a couple different designs in demand and keep the high quality and fair price vs trying to stretch my limits and build 20 different rods that I would have to overcharge for to take up losses for what has no demand.

I am very selective about the equipment I use personally, and I know others are also. My personal preference on the equipment I use varies greatly from most others.. even though it works great for me, others preferences wont be the same.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Lindy rig…7′ ML Legend
    live bait finesse…6’9″ ML Avid or Limit Creek
    pitching jigs…6’6″ TWS MLF
    vertical jigs…6’3″ MXF Avid

chuckles
    Manchester, Iowa

Jigging – 63mxf Legend Elite custom with a cork Tennessee handle – very versatile blank and rod.

For rigging I would go with my custom Loomis GL3 P8400 with a graphite Tennessee handle. The blank has an exceptionally light tip so the fish can bite without being aware of you and have the length to set the hook and also the backbone to complete the job… some folks would substitute a 6’6, 6’9 or 7 foot ML Avid or one of the Legend series St. Croix’s for this application and they are excellent as well – I just like my Loomis more for this application. Your results may vary, individual angler discretion is advised…
    Chuckles

redneckjr
    Rosemount, MN

jigging: 6’8″ legend tournament MLXF
    rigging/dragging: 8’0″ legend tournament MLF

I love the St. Croix’s.

luer
    Colfax,Wi

For live bait I like the GL 2 rod.They are plenty sensitive, have enough power for hook set yet the slower bend doesn’t launch minnows or crawlers when I cast.Length is always optional for a live bait rod,but 6’6” would be about right.
    For jigging, my St Croix elite 6’3″ is the go to rod.It is sensitive, has the backbone to “pop” 1/4 jigs off the bottom (even muck)and can handle anything (I landed a 30# + carp with it).
    That leaves a bad problem.My live bait and jigging is taken care of but my cranks and spinners are wondering what they will be doing?…….I can’t do it with two,no sir I won’t.

Goldpig
    Omaha, NE

Rigging – WRR 8400S-GLX

Jigging – SJR 721S-GLX

Awesome rods

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Rigging: ML 7′ Shimano Crucial
    Jigging: 6’8or9(?)” Avid MLXF

evileye
    Milan Il

Quote:

Lindy rig…7′ ML Legend
    live bait finesse…6’9″ ML Avid or Limit Creek
    pitching jigs…6’6″ TWS MLF
    vertical jigs…6’3″ MXF Avid

You only get two (2) Tom, Send the other two to me now

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

rigging – G Loomis IMX 7′ MLXF
    jigging – St. Croix Legend Tournament 6’8″ MXF

Thinice1
    Elk River, MN

My 5’10” legend tournament skipping rod its a tiny version of the 6’3” and seems to give me a little more control , it almost puts the jig right in my hand

My loomis sr852 7’1” spinning rod great lindy rig rod and casts small cranks like a dream great lenght for corkin as well

I dont think i could handle having only two rods

Waxy
    Calgary, AB

Anyone have experience with the Shimano Crucials?

They seem to be similar in cost and quality to most of the rods being discussed here. What caught my attention was the over the counter warranty program. No expensive and lengthy delays to get a new rod, just take the defective rod in and they hand you a new one.

Waxy

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Quote:

Rigging: ML 7′ Shimano Crucial
    Jigging: 6’8or9(?)” Avid MLXF

The Crucials are a great rod. I had originally ordered a few Compres from Shimano, but the Compre was being redesigned so I upgraded to the crucial. Glad I did because it soon became my number 1 rigging rod.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.