BWCA Tackle Box

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Wade, Tom and I are making our final plans for the BWCA and we’ve been double and triple checking our list of items we plan to bring to avoid forgeting a necessity.

For those that have been to the BWCA, what lures have been “must haves” when you’ve made your trips? Last time Iwas in, give me a 1/4 ounce jig and a ringworm and I was set for the walleyes. Any advice one what lures have produced best for walleyes? How about pike and bass?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Senkos

I picked up 50 – 2/0 worm hooks yesterday + 12 bags of YUM dingers.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

For Pike, a Johnson silver minnow tipped with a white k-grub! You can slow troll them too and get down fairly deep.

-J.

Bob Bowman
    MN

For pike, the Doctor Spoon is the best thing I have used. The only thing is you have to make the announcement when you use it…..”THE DOCTOR IS IN”…The spoon on the left is the one I have had my best luck on. Have a great trip guys

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Crawfish colored cranks are always good for smallies.

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

On one of my last trips I really did well trolling a deep thunderstick in a walleye pattern. My last few trips have been in October so I’m not so sure about June fishing.

dd

love2fish
    Shoreview, Grand Rapids, MN

I am with Joel, besides a ton of jig heads, thundersticks and wally divers work really well for the eyes.

John

Have a great trip.

Willeye
    La Crosse, WI

Last August I caught my walleyes on Rat-L-Traps, an original black and white Rapala, and green jigs with half a crawler. Craw colored Fat A Bomber was awesome for the pike.

Can’t wait to do it again this year. I go with a bunch of bait guys, but I’m convinced I can make ringworms and paddle tails produce.

Curt

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I’m sure you’ll have a good supply of Mepps Spinners along

Rootski

ssaall

Don’t know what they’re called but they are a hook with a small blade attached. They work great under a bobber. The wave action moves the blade. Minnow, leach, worm, artificial…. depends what they are hungry for. have fun

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

I agree w/ Rootski, Mepps Mepps Mepps. Every time ive gone up there the #3 spinners have always worked awesome for bass and northern.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

That’s NOT on Herb’s list

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Quote:

——————————————————————————–

What is Herb’s timeline for putting on a YUM Dinger?

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

When I was up there the 4th week of May the ONLY thing that would catch a walleye was a slip bobber and a leech on a red hook…..and it didn’t catch very many….man, how depressing, drive 8 1/2 hrs and ya have to fish with a stinkin bobber .

ended up having to make a decision between eating 12″ northerns or cleaning a bunch of ROCK BASS the last night cause we were out of other food options. We choose the boney little slimmers…..ummmm…..Yuck .

Oh yeah….and it was cold and rainy and windy and buggy every day!!! Coupled with the crappy fishing and the fire ban and the overabunce of work involved in paddling a canoe, it really wasn’t that much fun now that I think about it !!! Good thing we brought enough booze to hold us over .

but you guys have fun!!!

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

Quote:

——————————————————————————–

What is Herb’s timeline for putting on a YUM Dinger?

All I know is Wade WILL exceed it, how long does it take to rig with a snap-swivel anyways?

How many snap-swivels does one carry on a week long trip

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

All I know is Wade WILL exceed it, how long does it take to rig with a snap-swivel anyways?
    How many snap-swivels does one carry on a week long trip

Now that’s just not nice. You’ve just landed yourself in the same class as Kooty.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

OK, all kidding aside….

If I had only one lure to use up there, it would be a white twister tail on a quarter ounce jig head. I can’t think of any species of fish up there (except suckers) that won’t hit a white twister.

Rootski

fredbart
    St. Paul

Pop R’s for smallies! Yum Tubes- doubles as a nice smally and walleye bait. Dont hesitate to do some snap jigging with larger twister tails in emerging weeds. Oh.. and an overlooked bait is a 4 inch Berkley worm in a motor oil with a chartreus tail. Rattle baits are fun.

current-break
    ROCK ISLAND, ILLINOIS

Smallies: for or your dusk to dark fishing go on the surface. Small jitter bugs, Dark color and blue and silver jointed original raps # 7or 9. Also have some one bring in a fly rod and popers or hair floaters. Nothing is better than a smallie hitting the surface when you can not see it coming

garth merrick

fredbart
    St. Paul

One more…. dont forget a portable locator!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.