Crankbait hooks?

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Been missing a fair amount of walleyes while pitching crankbaits lately. Was thinking about trying some different trebles to see if this would help. Have any of you guys tried this and what size, make and style of trebles do you like? I mostly pitch 6a bombers and shad raps.

Thanks

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

I recomend the Mustad Triple Grips! They work really well. In fact, it’s hard to get a hook out of a fish without bending the hook. I really like them for tournament fishing, they keep you from having to tell people the story about “lost a couple big ones at the boat today”.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

VMC Round Bend for me. They hook well, they don’t destroy the pocketbook and I like how durable they are too.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Mike

Out of curiosity, what rod are you using to cast your cranks? The reason I ask is that changing trebles usually won’t make as much of an improvement as going with a slower action rod. If you’ve already experimented with the action of your crank casting rod and have that fine tuned then going to a premium quality treble is one of your last resorts for maximizing hooking percentage.

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

Good point about the rod action with cranks. Especially if you are casting cranks with super line. So many people have gone with Spiderwire or other superlines when fishing cranks. These lines do not stretch. You need a little give somewhere or you will yank the crank out of the fish’s mouth. This applies to both casting and trolling cranks. Many of the pros have gone to fiberglas poles for cranks because they have the bend and give they need for cranks when fished with superlines. A rod with a good backbone but more flex might just be what you need.

Eyehunter

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Quote:

Mike

Out of curiosity, what rod are you using to cast your cranks? The reason I ask is that changing trebles usually won’t make as much of any improvement as going with a slower action rod. If you’ve already experimented with the action of your crank casting rod and have that fine tuned then going to a premium quality treble is one of your last resorts for maximizing hooking percentage.

Thats why he’s the king. I was thinking exactly the same thing. I have had a much better hook up % after going back to mono and a glass style rod. IMO if you have a quality hook thats still sharp it’s time to look another direction.

Good luck

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Been using a Limit Creek 6’9″ MLF. Running 10# power pro on this. Was thinking there may not be enough give to it for the fish to suck the lures in. Even been trying to not set the hook so fast when the fish hit to allow them to suck it in. Hoping to get a couple of triumps from Everts in the near future for crank bait rods.

The Limit Creeks are not a bad rod and are alot better than what I had for pitching crankbaits. They just dont seem to fit this application real well. Now for pitching jigs I have really been enjoying them.

Thanks for the pointers on hooks. Needed to get some new hooks anyways as those walleyes and snags have done a numbers on some of my crankbaits.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.