Newbie with Cranks

• danz

Having never pulled cranks for walleye’s before, I would like to try it. What cranks would you recommend I purchase as a beginner (sizes, colors, brands, etc). Since I have a cabin on Osakis that is the lake I would learn on. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Good question. Go pick yourself up a couple #7 Firetiger and Hot Steel Rapala Shad Raps and spool up some fireline on a reel. Let out line until the baits dig into the bottom and then reel some line up from there. From there you can experiment with how much line to let out and speed. I would start trolling about 2.5-2.8 MPH

jiggineyes15
    Iowa

I have found pulling cranks a great way to cover a lot of water in a short amount of time and being very effective while doing it.

In the beginning I would try to choose color based on the bait found within the lake you fish. For size I believe it was once said, “Big lures catch Big fish.” I would start by running the crank just off the bottom. I have found it more important to find the right color, size, and running depth as opposed to the name on the side of it.

Pick a bait color, nice sized crank and run it on the bottom. You can fine tune and get as technical as you want after that.

Don Hanson

Wally divers and #5 jointed Raps. Perch color, firetiger, chrome and blue.On Osakis I have done well trolling between Shelfout and Miller point, hitting 3 and 4 mile bar

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Check out this post. It is a list of some of the guys favorite cranks. It is a few years old but the good ones don’t go away. favorite cranks

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.