looking for advice

• sicheneder
    forest lake,mn

Fished a local lake 2 times this week for a few hours and each time caught over 20 wallys in 12-14 fow on a point jigging but, they were all small between 8-14″. I am not sure what i should do to find bigger fish? There is not a lot of structure just a couple of hard or rock spots. Thanks.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Does the lake have any deeper water nearby? If so I would start by longlining or trolling cranks on leadcore to cover water and see if you can’t locate the larger fish you’re looking for. The additional bonus of fishing cranks is that you’ll tend to weed out the smaller fish for the most part. If trolling isn’t your ideal presentation then I would try vertical jigging plastics without bait or upsizing my livebait offerings considerably if you think the issue is that the smaller, more aggressive fish are getting to your baits before the larger less aggressive fish pull the trigger.

Do you have a feel for the size structure of the fish in your lake? By that I mean do you know that the lake has a decent population of larger walleyes?

sicheneder
    forest lake,mn

thanks. out off the pt. there is the deepest water in the lake which is about 29 fow. not a ton of struture in the lake, but probally about 5 rock or hard spots in the lake. i did look online and there was a big stocking in 2003 and 2004. from the dnr netting there was some bigger fish in the system and most of the netted ones were 15-19″. it is fun fishing, but frustrating. do walleyes group up in size like bass?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

thanks. out off the pt. there is the deepest water in the lake which is about 29 fow. not a ton of struture in the lake, but probally about 5 rock or hard spots in the lake. i did look online and there was a big stocking in 2003 and 2004. from the dnr netting there was some bigger fish in the system and most of the netted ones were 15-19″. it is fun fishing, but frustrating. do walleyes group up in size like bass?

Yes walleyes do grow large like bass, even in small lakes. It is not uncommon to hear of 10+ lb walleyes coming from TINY pothole lakes across the midwest.

I would give trolling cranks a shot if you have the gear to do it. If not pick up some bottom bouncers and slow troll spinner rigs. A 3 hook spinner rig harness with a crawler would allow you to cover and learn a bunch of water.

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

Like James has mentioned before, I would do three things,
    1) go deeper
    2) use bigger bait or lures
    3) speed up your presentation, this may be just jigging it in faster or switching to pulling cranks, or 3 waying.

Hope this helps

walleye1274
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Try going to some larger plastics such as ringworms or k-grubs. The larger fish usually like the bigger plastics. It is not always the case, but it has worked for me in the past. Not to mention it is a lot of fun, they really love to smash the plastics!!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.