Ideas on slowing down trolling??

• bthess
    Manly, IA

Just curious if anyone has any ideas on how to slow down a boat as currently trolling with a 70 hp Johnson I cannot get much below 2-2.25 mph. I know a new prop can do it but just looking for the cheapest way to do this. Any ideas would be appreciated??

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

A small wind sock tied to the bow, just do not forget that it is under the boat when you move locations.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Cheapest? 5 gallon pail on a rope

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

Use a drift sock off the bow eye, just tie it short enough so it won’t get into the motor. It will position itself under the boat if you are forward trolling.
    It will also help keep the front end from blowing around if it is windy.
    Same thing if you want to back troll….just use a drift sock off the bow eye.
    They make different sizes for different boat sizes and adjustable models. I would go bigger…it is much easier to throttle up a little to get to the speed you want if the sock slows you too much.

I actually have 2 of the Blue DriftControl socks…I use them a lot. Sometimes 1 sometimes both depending on what I am doing and how windy it is.
    JB

jigs

The drift sock is the best option, what I have done is not tie it off the front as it will swing around in the wind and make it hard to follow countours. What I found to work great is to run the rope from side to side about half way up the boat and have the drift sock tied onto the rope so that it is situated right under the center of the boat and will not swing in the wind. I used to have to do this with my old boat and it worked alot better than tieing it off the front or dragging it off the back. Give it a shot.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Take more friends out fishing with you to add more weight and drag.

I second Jig’s idea with the windsock.

bthess
    Manly, IA

Thanks to everybody going to give the bucket idea a try this week. Just looking for the easiest way at the moment and hopefully the next boat I get will have a kicker!

steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

All good answers to your question so far.

One other way? Put your electric trolling motor down and run it in reverse..or your kicker. THAT works just fine too and you just refine your speed….depending on if you are going down wind or up wind, by adjusting your kicker or trolling motor throttle.

dave_n
    Champlin, MN

Being new to the 4-stroke game (Yam 90 hp), do I need to concern myself with long periods of trolling on the big motor? Will this hurt it in any way?

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

was in a boat this past week a 90hp yamaha 4 stroke and it trolled down like a champ with the troll down feature not sure if those come with every motor or if it is optional. we could slow to a crawl pulling live bait with it

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

What helps is trim your motor up. Just watch your pee hole for water. If it`s carberated this helps keep the carb throats from pooling gas. Expecially on two strokes they won`t load up near as much if at all.

john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

One suggestion I would make if you use the bucket, use plastic and drill two or three one inch holes with a spade bit in the bottom of the bucket. It will allow some water to pass through and keep the bucket from tugging side to side. I used to drag a bucket at the rear of my boat, clipping a rope and small bumper buoy across my tie downs on back, then a 6′ rope off the buoy to the bucket. This keeps it running true, and the buoy keeps the rope out of your prop. Good luck!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.