Male/Female Walleyes

• Mark Steffes
    Farmington, MN

How do you tell the difference between a Male or Female Eye? I had this discussion witha fellow IDA member on Friday. When you catch a big one that is pretty easy, but if you catch a 16″-22″, how do you tell or can you?

steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

You can’t tell…looking from the outside. Except when they are in the middle or around the spawn time.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Mark:

Gotta agree with Steve!!! After looking at the vent of the muskie, I decided with my limited biology experience to ask the local biologist. I figured that if they could tell on a muskie, why not a walleye. I was told that even the biologists couldn’t tell unless the fish was milking or dropping eggs. By size, they apparently figure that in most cases fish larger than 17″ most generally are female. That’s what I know.

Mark

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I asked the DNR at the sportshow and they said the same thing…

walleyewacker18
    Rice Lake, WI

I work for the DNR as a Fisheries technician in the summer as I am working towards my degree in Fisheries and Biology. Like said above there is no way to tell the difference. Only time you can is when they are spawning or full of eggs or the males are milking

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

WW18,

How long does a male walleye generally live? How large do they get?

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Quote:

How do you tell the difference between a Male or Female Eye?

Lift up their skirts and take a peek?

catmando
    wis

Back in the 80’s caught a 28 incher about 7 pounds and blind in one eye {male} it tasted like mud.

Mark Steffes
    Farmington, MN

Quote:

Back in the 80’s caught a 28 incher about 7 pounds and blind in one eye {male} it tasted like mud.

Are you sure that was a Walleye & not a Catfish.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

The picture in my avatar is a tagged 25″ male I pulled out of Mille Lacs last year.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Throw them in the live well. If there are males and females mixed together, the females will be the ones shouting and complaining about something. The males will be cowering in the corner.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.