Favorite Walleye Baitcasting Rods

• bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Everyone is always asking what people like for their favorite baitcasting rods so lets start a thread on that subject so people know where to go for information on this type of rod so they may gain a better idea of what rods might be best for them.

I personally use and really like the 7′ St. Croix Premier medium and med light rods with fast tips. These rods work great for pulling 3-ways and floaters/cranks and also for trolling crankbaits. At times I will use an 8’6” and a 10’6” rods too but the 7′ rods mentioned are my go to bread and butter rods. St. Croix makes fishing rods that are very sensitive and high quality. Great rods in my opinion. I sure love em.

Thanks, Bill

catmando
    wis

berkley series one 6ft 6inch med light not to long not to short jusssssssssst right.Great for bounceing an casting cranks.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

7’6″ MM Tidemaster St. Croix for pulling longline cranks.

These rods excell when used as a 3 way rod, pulling bait or sticksbaits, so they get double duty in my boat. All in all these 7′ 6″ Tidemasters are the best and most versatile trolling rods I’ve found…. they’ve got the soft top third that transitions into ample backbone and they’re indestructible. I’ve got the original 4 rods I bought 9 years ago. The handles show wear and the blanks have some scratches… but they keep on catching fish!

jighead-two
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

My favorite baitcasting rod is my St.Croix PC60MF because it once belonged to my very good friend and fishing buddy. Last fall, I caught a very nice fat 24″ walleye within feet of where a few of his ashes were placed.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

I have always liked longer baitcasting rods… My favorite top water is a 6’6″ Browning Medallion MF action. I was turned on to a new St. Croix model by fellow staffer and guide , Chris Beeksma, while fishing big Smallies on Chequamegon Bay last spring…the TBC70MF / Teaser, a
    superior rod for fishing “teaser” type soft plastics including Senko®-style baits. Excellent choice for buzzbaits, too. For cranks and spinnerbaits I like my Avid 7′ MHF…its also got the backbone for working heavy cover.

shaley
    Milford IA

Casting cranks or pulling bouncers I run Fenwick Eagle GT or HMX rods for trolling just a couple cheap Abu salmon/steelhead rods.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.