Walleye Spawning time…..

• chappy
    Hastings, MN

I know we’ve had this debate before,but when I was fishing with Bill Ortiz in Detroit, He mentioned the fish were spawned out already. The water temp was in the upper 30’s to lower 40’s.He said that it also depends on the moon phases. It kinda suprised me as I know it’s usually between 45-50 water temp on the river. Does the moon phases have anything to do with it? Bill is a highly respected angler and seemed to know his stuff! Guess I’m just wondering………

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Did the water temps peak higher before those post-spawn fish were caught? If that was this spring nearly all rivers in the midwest spiked water temps well into the 40’s before plummeting back into the mid-thirties.

We were catching decent numbers of post spawn fish with water temps as low as 36 degrees on the Mississippi River this spring.

As for that full moon phase… I believe there’s plenty of info about the link to the walleye spawn available on the internet. Just google it up. Walleyes don’t spawn “automatically” just because the moon is in the right phase but if the conditions are right (water temp, length of daylight hours) and you get a full moon you will see an increase of spawning activity taking place around that full moon.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Good enough answer for me…..Thanks James.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.