Favorite method of walleye fishing?

• drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

I posted this just to be the first poster on this new forum. But it is an interesting question even if it has been asked before.

I am first and foremost a jig pitching guy. I love casting and working a lure/bait through spots. And I absolutely love the “hit” and hookset part. I often times get a bigger kick out of catching a light bite more than when the fish just crush the bait.

dd

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

For me… casting a light jig tipped with a bulky plastic body. No question about it. After that it would be dragging light jigs tipped with bait, preferably a big willowcat because I love that hard THUMMMMP you feel when a big walleye hits the cat. A distant third would be casting cranks to wingdams.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

pitching, vertical jigging, lindy rigs, slip bobbers, trolling. In that order.

In reality, my favorite method is whatever method is working that day.

Good choice for a first topic on the new forum DD.

superdave
    NE IA

Casting cranks to wingdams is my favorite, pitching jigs and plastics is second, vertical jigging is probably third. I agree, whatever is working is never a bad choice.

jmiller
    Blaine, MN

Snap jigging shinners on Big Winnie. In the shallows all year long. 1/8 oz jig and a G Loomis Sjr721 light and it is on like donkey kong. Or like James said thowing lite jigs into shallow water on P4 for those piggies.

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

Mine would be finger fishing!!!

“Lindy rigging” with a leech on a 7′ St.Croix Avid!!!!

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

Same here but with a 7.5′ Legend.

Pitching is getting addicting, just not enough time to do it right now.

jhalfen

#1 is pulling cranks. Get that big spread going with boards, flatlines and leadcore.

#2 is dragging bait or plastic on light jigs in skinny water. Summer or winter, a hands-on way to smack river or lake fish.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

I’m with Bobber on this one.Lindy Rigging!

walleyewacker18
    Rice Lake, WI

Gotta either be Jigging shorelines in early May or Verticle jiggin both are a blast. A close second is trolling spinners on weedlines. What a way to get a ton of walleyes and both small but the chance for the giant!!

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I dont think I have a favorite? I think it depends on my mood that day. If I am lazy, pulling cranks is most enjoyable.. if I am in the finess mood.. a good old 1/8 oz jighead with a live fathead kicking away can make you feel like you accomplished something catching the fish that just *dont want to bite*.

I think in fact one of the most enjoyable things about walleye fishing, there are so many ways to fish them most of the time with some level of success. The constant changing to find the *key* can be the most enjoyable… unless I am lazy that day, then my work will simple be changing trolling speeds, or depths

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Quote:

For me… casting a light jig tipped with a bulky plastic body. No question about it. After that it would be dragging light jigs tipped with bait, preferably a big willowcat because I love that hard THUMMMMP you feel when a big walleye hits the cat. A distant third would be casting cranks to wingdams.

I would agree 100%…except the bait on the light jig would be tipped with a fat crawler here on little Bay de Noc!

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Quote:

I have to jump on the Bobber Band-Wagon. My Father taught me how to hook an ‘eye on Mille Lacs. That’s how he did it. Except we didn’t have the fancy St Croix rods back then.

Sully

catmando
    wis

casting a jig. nightime crankbait casting. or some chubs or waterdogs in the fall slow rigging . not many bites but boy when you get one its a beauty.

crosby-stick
    Crosby MN

Lindy rigging a crawler on a single hook with bead!! then jigging

deerwoody
    Deerwood,MN.

Jigging an emerald on the Rainy River.

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

Pitch’n jigs, plastics or feathers To watch that line move before you are ever able to feel a bite is the best

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

#1) pulling cranks
    #2) Dragging
    #3) bobber

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Long lining cranks at night in the fall.

Ya got the full moon, crisp fall air, a few buddies, drinking adult beverages, little Bob Seger playing, and then you get that “thump” on the crank and drag starts rolling out!

Or

I love pulling bottom bouncers and spinner rigs on LOTW rock reefs!

walleye1274
    Chippewa Falls, WI

1.)Pitching jigs
    2.)Lindy rig with a 8ft leader and a big leech.
    3.)Pitching Jigs
    4.)anything else that will catch a walleye

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Pitching jigs to wingdams or structures in the river. Working those jigs across the structure and having a big fat walleye just crush it. Most of the jigs are tipped with plastics. Been working some hair jigs into the mix now. High water in the spring/early summer and night fishing in the late fall or winter is great times for this.

Willeye
    La Crosse, WI

Favorite would be casting jigs followed by trolling cranks.

Least favorite…bottom bouncers!

Curt

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Pulling 3-ways with live bait on a floater
    Trolling crankbaits
    Fishing with bucktail jigs

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Jigs. I love having control of the bait and being able to feel every little thing going on at the other end of the line.

redneck
    Rosemount

Logical answer is whatever will put a walleye on the end of my line but I do have my favorites.
    1. Pitching jigs with plastic or live bait
    2. Vertical jigging
    3. Dragging live bait or plastics
    4. Throwing blade baits–new but fun
    5. Trolling cranks

redneckjr
    Rosemount, MN

Mine are very similar to Dad’s but with a few minor changes.
    1.Pitchin jigs
    2.Pitchin blades
    3.draggin
    4.vertical jiggin
    5.castin cranks
    somewhere near the bottom is trolling

djorg
    Central City, NE

As the Nebraska impoundments start to shrink in early August and September the best way to catch walleyes for me is to pull cranks. The last few years Glass Shadraps in either purple or citrus have been best. Covering water in the 14-20 range at a rate of 2 to 2.5 mph has produced best for us. In most of our impoundments the water is off colored (muddy) at that time of year. With the use of planer boards you will cover an area from 8-20 ft on one pass.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Spinners on three – ways..

Crankbait

Definitely pitching/casting jig and plastic or hair. THWACK!!

Close second would be slip bobbering a favorite hump, point, or rock pile on a remote BWCA/Quetico lake in the early evening around sunset while having the whole lake to myself and not having a care in the world…….aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh.

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

my favorite?

Getting up before sunrise on a cool morning… waking my boys (young men… ), making a pot of coffee and a few sandwiches…. hitting the Croix at dawn, steaming cup of coffee, mist rising off the water… pulling cranks through the no-wake zone… country music playing just loud enough to ‘set the mood’… motoring to the ‘spot’ on glass-smooth water – wind whipping over the windscreen… fresh air… dragging jigs and watching the sonar to see if you find fish and if so, dropping anchor and tossing out a slip-bobber and pitching or vertical jigging while sipping that coffee and talking about ‘life’ with your kids… telling a few jokes… watching the day break and looking for eagles catching the first thermals of the day…

Who cares if you even catch a fish…

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.