Bass / Walleye Rod

• Drew14741
    Osage, Iowa

I need recommendations for a good multi-purpose rod that I can fish bass and walleye with? I am looking to spend around $100 for the rod. Most of my walleye fishing is throwing cranks and jigging and my bass fishing is river bassing throwing cranks and using tubes/plastics. Maybe there isn’t a good rod that will do both of these things, but I wanted to see what others use. Would I be better off buying two different rods versus one?

showags
    Hastings, MN

I would make sure it has an extra fast tip on it independent of which manufacturer you go with. I have always had good luck with Shimano rods, however, the old lady just bought me a St. Croix Triumph, which is a relatively inexpensive model, but even for the price, the rod has a lot of back bone compared to my other rods. It was only about $60. I am sure there are better rods for more money, but I just thought I would share my experience. I would probably stick with a Medium action rod.

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Welcome to IDA, Drew!!! Check out this post! I think it speaks for itself: New Rod

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Most of my walleye fishing is throwing cranks and jigging and my bass fishing is river bassing throwing cranks and using tubes/plastics.

Finding ONE rod that will do what you’re asking for is going to be tough.

The crankbaits will be best cast on a medium power rod with a slower action. The rod Dave Barber linked to will do a good job with the jigging, if jig weights are kept on the lighter side. If you fish larger plastics or jigs over 5/16 of an ounce, I’d suggest stepping up to a medium a action rod for that application as well.

As for fishing bass sized plastics… definitely look at a rod with a medium power. Medium light will fall short in the hookset department.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

If I was “forced” into having only one rod, it would be a 6’6″ medium action, fast tip, spinning.

This rod was the common “go-to” rod for decades. It will be sufficient for everything that you want to do except run heavy weights.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I would make sure it has an extra fast tip on it independent of which manufacturer you go with. I have always had good luck with Shimano rods, however, the old lady just bought me a St. Croix Triumph, which is a relatively inexpensive model, but even for the price, the rod has a lot of back bone compared to my other rods. It was only about $60. I am sure there are better rods for more money, but I just thought I would share my experience. I would probably stick with a Medium action rod.

The St. Croix Triumphs are an excellent rod for the money. And I think they come with a 5 year warranty. The only “problem” with the Triumphs is the selections is limited. By that I mean they don’t offer dozens upon dozens of different models to suit every possible application like the other model lines that St. Crox offers.

sandbar
    Woodbury, MN

For $89.99 I would go with the Shimano Compre 6’6″ med xfast tip.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Quote:

If I was “forced” into having only one rod, it would be a 6’6″ medium action, fast tip, spinning.

This rod was the common “go-to” rod for decades. It will be sufficient for everything that you want to do except run heavy weights.

I agree with Gary, atleast from my own experince.

Personally I’d find 2 rods for that price. a 6′ for jigging and a 7′ tossing cranks and plastics. I have 2 Gander mountain rods that I really like for those jobs fit within $100 I think.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

No one rod is going to fit the range of techniques you’re trying to cover so I’m with Nick on his suggestions of two rods to cover the bases. If you’re tied to a $100 budget check out the Gander Guide Series, Triumphs from St.Croix and if you have a Bass Pro near you poke your nose into the isle with their private label rods. You should be able to get a pair of rods from those three companies for $100 – 120 and I think you’ll be much happier overall.

Drew14741
    Osage, Iowa

If you were going to buy one rod for walleye and one rod for bass, what would the two be? I am willing to spend around $100 for each.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I have Shimano Compre CPSX68MB that is a 6’8″ Medium Extra Fast. I use this for jigging for walleyes and casting jigs for bass and walleye. I bought the comparable model St. Croix avid also. Unfortunately, I borrowed it to my brother and he hasn’t given it back because its his new favorite rod. I don’t remember the pricing on these, but I believe they are in your price range. If you are buying a nice rod, especially for casting, make sure you match the rod with a good reel.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I have Shimano Compre CPSX68MB that is a 6’8″ Medium Extra Fast. I use this for jigging for walleyes and casting jigs for bass and walleye. I bought the comparable model St. Croix avid also. Unfortunately, I borrowed it to my brother and he hasn’t given it back because its his new favorite rod. I don’t remember the pricing on these, but I believe they are in your price range. If you are buying a nice rod, especially for casting, make sure you match the rod with a good reel.

That 6’8″ Avid is my favorite bass rod when fishing plastics with a spinning reel. Works great when casting heavier jigs or bigger plastics for walleyes too.

Drew14741
    Osage, Iowa

What advantage does the x-fast action give you?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.