Trolling Cranks

• walleyewacker18
    Rice Lake, WI

Hey guys,
    Just thinking about making a weekend trip sometime this year to get out and do some long line trolling crank baits. Where would be a good lake to do some experimenting and what time of year and such. Any information would be appreciated. I’m looking for a good lake to catch some walleyes on with cranks and planer boards

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Mille Lacs. July.

-J.

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

Can’t tell you any lakes but the very upper end of Pepin (Mississippi) has been good to me right around Memorial Day for long-lining cranks. I haven’t been up there in early June for a few years now but have done well up there several times.

Eyehunter

Eyehunter

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

Pepin for big June eyes and July and August for leadcore Sauger and eyes June is more consistant for me but July can be down right crazy too

desperado

Mille Lacs during the full moon of Sept and/or Oct and/or Nov

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

Mille Lacs during the full moon of Sept and/or Oct and/or Nov

Couldn’t have said it better myself!

2jranch
    Arcadia, WI

Red Cedar Lake just north of you has Eye’s, why not do some trolling there? I know guys catch a few on that lake.

walleyewacker18
    Rice Lake, WI

Thanks for the info guys. Yeah I fish Red Cedar all of the time and do really well but the Adult fish population is so far down. I would like to catch some bigger fish on cranks. Plus Red Cedar is not a good crankbait trolling lake

fredbart
    St. Paul

Pool 2, current seams and rip-wrap.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Yep. Lots of good fish in pool 2. May and june should be the best.

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

I’m with Desperado AMAZING

walleyewacker18
    Rice Lake, WI

Are you guys targeting these fish during the day or at night. What depth of water are they usually in?

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I thought we were talking cranks and planner boards. Never pulled cranks/boards on Pool 2 and rarely pull boards at night.

-J.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

JJ is right. He was aksing about Cranks And Boards.

If that is the case I would say Mille Lacs Mid June to Mid
    to end of July form sun up to sun down. Otherwise Lake Erie in April…. Still wanting to make that trip. Maybe next year.

desperado

Oh ya, the Lake Erie experience would be awesome.

Other than that . . .

since the first line of the original post asked about “long-line trolling” and the last line did reference “cranks and planer boards” . . .

I’d still say;

try a lot of what was suggested for planer boards in April, June, July, August

BUT when late autumn arrives; LEAVE the boards at HOME and long-line troll cranks under the full moon. It’s such a blast, ya just gotta experience it.

Once ya do, you’ll be as hooked as the rest of us.

(“hooked” pun fully intended)

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Did someone say Mille Lacs during the full moon

walleyewacker18
    Rice Lake, WI

Ok well I am a student at the UW-Stevens Point in Wisconsin. I want to make the trip there this fall so what would be the best month to go there. Sept Oct or Nov? What kind of cranks do you guys pull and what kind of structures or depth?

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Pay attention here, you will see reports here almost a few times a week come fall. Husky Jerks #10’s, #12’s a& #14’s along with Smithwick Super Rogues in a variety of colors. Look at old fishing reports form last Fall and see the hot colors. If I had to take 4 colors only it would be firetiger, clown, tennessee shad and lazer craw.

For structure again go under the fishing reports thread and do a search for October Reports for any year and read up on those or better yet, go to the IDO Video / TV thread and buy the video “Fall Trolling for Trophy Walleye”.

desperado

wacker
    If you can go on 24 hours notice, do as Rob says and watch the reports.
    However, if ya have to make plans a month ahead of time, here’s what to consider.
    It depends on how early or late each month the full moon is and how soon the water starts cooling off (and of course how soon it freezes). If the full moon in Sept is early in the month, it may be too soon; if the full moon in Nov is late in the month, ice can be a factor. So as a general rule October is probably the best bet.

Last year’s full moons were Sept 7, Oct 7 and Nov 5. So I ingnored the Sept one as probably being a little early because I was planning to fish the Oct and was confident that I could still fish the first week of Nov.

This year’s full moons are Sept 26, Oct 26 and Nov 24. So the Sept one is late enough that it could be good and Oct should be good. Of course weather plays a factor too; Nov 24 could be great or could be fighting ice.
    Hope this helps.

Here’s one of my favorite November stories:
    The first time that I ever fished the November full moon, we were on Indian Point and in Sha Bosh Kung bay. It was cold and the wind blowing was the only thing preventing the lake from freezing. It was cold enough that any splash or spray above the water line was freezing to the side of the boat and to our raingear. We pulled the boat off the lake at 10:30 pm and went to bed. The wind stopped blowing while we were sleeping and when we got up, the entire bay was frozen over.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.