best walleye lakes in the metro area????????

• cmquandt

share some of your best walleye lakes in the metro area

silver lake, north saint paul

big_g
    Isle, MN

Waconia ? It used to be…

big g

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I would like to shake hands with the individual with the key to unlock the secrets of Tonka. My impression is, it’s a great walleye lake that doesn’t get talked about.

What about Prior lake?

Sully

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Best “water” in Metro area is P2 & P3 (the river)!

However, a little probing of basic walleye 101 will put nice fish in your boat on Tonka!!!

A jig/minnow will put walleyes in your boat all day on a mid-lake reef! Focus on depths between 15 to 30 fow!

mstanley
    Shorewood,MN

It takes a little work to figure it out but Tonka is my pick. Hard to beat it for fall big fish. I have gotten at least six 8lb or more walleyes every fall for 5 years running now. Haven’t a clue on how to catch the “eaters” not my target. Go big or go home. Hey Gary will I be seeing you and Kooty on the lake soon? It’s just about prime time.

You know my pick,(Croix)but everytime I bring you down there, all you do is watch me catch fish. Maybe another lake will be a better fit for ya…By the way, ill be down there all weekend, so if you wanna go, let me know.

dallgood
    Savage,MN

I would like to hear more reports on this topic, as I mainly fish local due to work.
    A couple guys myself included have been catching walleyes and good size perch from shore on Prior late in the evening. The eyes are mainly small but some good eaters are mixed in. All the fish I’ve seen caught were released.Fatheads seemed to be the ticket.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Stan, I don’t have any immediate plans to get on tonka, but should one of these nights after the kiddies go to bed. Another IDA’er who we don’t see much of get’s a new personal best out of Tonka the last two years. I’m thinking he rubbed your horseshoe one time?????

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Prior too, is a great lake if you time it right! I pulled 15 walleyes in 30 minutes of ice fishing. They went NUTS as if you flipped a light switch and turned off that fast as well. Many cigars in Prior, but there are also some pigs in there too…..Problem is that the agressive little cigars keep getting in the way. Work the sunken points on Prior!!!

walzer
    Afton, MN

For numbers it’s hard to beat the St. Croix. For quality P2 has it hands down. White Bear and Bald Eagle can be good for numbers as well.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

I am a little biased but Pool 2 gets my full swinged head nod! Its tough to go to a place as close as the metro and have a good a shot at catching a fish of a lifetime as Pool 2 of the Miss River offers.

For numbers of walleyes however, I think there are some better metro lake opportunities that could offer up plenty of action of 14″-20″ walleyes. IMO, I think the Twin Cities metro area has a good selection of walleye lakes within a stones throw from each other that offer up an abundance of eating sized walleyes.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.