St Croix Legend Elite SC5 7’MLF Question

• eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Curious if anyone fishes one of these? How well can you feel a 1/16 oz jig when pitching for eyes?

Looking at one but I fish 1/16 oz. jigs a lot and need the sensitivity to feel the bottom with it. Right now I have a Fenwick that does great but is only 6′ and I’m thinking of going a little longer but concerned with loosing sensitivity with a longer rod. Already have 2 7′ ML other brands that suck until I use heavier jigs. Thanks, Bill.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

To be honest, I use my Legend Extreme 6’9″ MLXF for lighter jigs like 1/16th-1/4th oz. It works great. I would imagine that the 7′ MLF would work great, too.

skeeter20
    Winnie/Grand Rapids,MN

I use mine for rigging and is probably my favorite rod to fish with because it is so sensitive. Now a 1/16oz is a very light jig and most rods rated for a 1/16oz are going to be L power. How heavy of jigs you plan to fish with the rod? Being you already have some ML rods might want to consider the 6’6″ or 7′ LF. If you want to stick with the ML another option is the 6’6″ MLF. I use this rod a lot for jigging but mainly 1/8oz. I wouldnt be afraid to fish a 1/16oz with it though based on how the 1/8oz feels.

I use a Legend Xtreme 70MLF for pitching light jigs and I am very happy with it. When the wind is really blowing, I’ll move down to a 69MLXF, and I honestly don’t think there’s too much of a difference.

In terms of sensitivity, you can feel a fish breathe on the bait when pitching jigs with these rods. Only thing that comes close to quality and sensitivity in my opinion are the NRX rods by Loomis.

BBKK
    IA

I use a 6’6 mlf premier for jigging eyes. Works great. 7′ would be too long imo but to each his own.

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Thank you for the input, very helpful.

I fish 1/16-1/8 jig 90% of the time and almost never over 1/4. I fish a smaller river with the normal plastics pitching or casting from shore.

I thought about a lite action but my dad’s 6’LF Premier is way to flimsy for my taste. Of course he sets the hook like a gorilla and I’m more finesse. The 7′ is so I can make longer cast but also lift line over current.

I’m thinking of maybe buying a blank and making the rod myself, maybe cut it down some in length (butt section).

travp
    Blaine , Mn

Quote:

Thank you for the input, very helpful.

I fish 1/16-1/8 jig 90% of the time and almost never over 1/4. I fish a smaller river with the normal plastics pitching or casting from shore.

I thought about a lite action but my dad’s 6’LF Premier is way to flimsy for my taste. Of course he sets the hook like a gorilla and I’m more finesse. The 7′ is so I can make longer cast but also lift line over current.

I’m thinking of maybe buying a blank and making the rod myself, maybe cut it down some in length (butt section).

The premier is a much lower quality graphite then that elite. The elite light is probably the rod your looking for, it’s quite a bit stiffer then the premier.

BBKK
    IA

I am in the same boat as you, I fish 1/16, 3/32, and 1/8 most of the time. 1/4 very seldom, and never over 1/4. You want a 6’6-6’9 MLF IMO. My 6’6MLF has just the right backbone and a soft tip with enough flex to fish a 1/16 very well but stiff enough for a 1/8 or 1/4.

The legend is going to be a better graphite which means lighter, thinner, more sensitivity, and a little better transition from backbone to tip.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

They don`t make the Legend Extreme in 7 foot MLXF 6`9 or 7`6 and I think 6`3 ?

I just picked up a Legend Extreme 7`6 MLXF from Dean I haven`t had it on the water yet but a plain 1/16 ounce jig with 10 lb Crystal Shimano Sedona will pitch that little jig roughly 56 feet using the house for a judgment, without even trying hard. I did not think I would like the grip but I really do thumb and fore finger fit perfect in the grooves on the fore handle. I think I could feel a blade of grass that was growing with it.

tucrs
    NW Metro

Yes you can, those are good rods. Why not go longer? 7’2″ or more longer rods should not lose any feel. With better blanks NFC, Batson’s, GLX, SCV, you should be able to feel anything. I use 7’+ on almost everything besides rods that I need to fish small creeks with.

If you want to increase sensitivity use lighter guides even REC guides they will help the feel of the over all rod.

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Really appreciate all the input, you guys are great. Think I’ll see if the local sports shop has any available to feel, should give me a better idea on the lite action.

Way it sounds the ML will fit the ticket though. John never thought about longer then 7′ but if I went long and didn’t like it I suppose I could cut it down and remake the rod shorter. Man choices, doesn’t sound like I can go wrong though with the SCV.

Tom question is did you set the hook . I was in the store one day looking at protein powder reading the can when all of a sudden the powder feel to the side of the can and with out thinking I set the hook . Had to look around to make sure no one saw and laugh at myself.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

If ever you shorten rod be sure it is the butt section not the tip, tip changes the entire blank action

BBKK
    IA

From what I understand, shortening the rod is not as easy as it sounds. Have to strip the rod completely and re-do it since the new butt slides on from the tip and the guides would be in the way.

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Yes sir, done that with a couple fly rods for tight areas.

Ya redoing the rod wouldn’t bother me I like DIY and tinkering until I get things the way I like. I’m kind of funny that way, I try to DIY with as much as I can safely do. Thanks for the heads up.

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Thank you for all the help, went with the ML. This is the best fishing site on the web.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.