B Ffish N Tckle plastics and thier smell

• fishinhunt31
    Near Lake Winnebago

I love thier look, but I’ve taken to washing the plastics when I get ’em in warm water and soap to try to get some of that plastic smell out of ’em. I know walleyes don’t rely on thier sense of smell like say a catfish, but I gotta believe that it has some affect. I’ve washed a couple of batches and then soaked ’em in GULP alive and others in Trigger X juice. Am I being too parinoid or do others do the same? Thanks for the input.

BBKK
    IA

Since they are a site sponsor you are going to get nothing but replies in favor of them.

Personally, I don’t think scent matters as long as you feel the bite and set the hook quickly. If you don’t like the smell then do just what you did, throw some scent on them. Just be careful with soaking in gulp alive, some baits will melt in there.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Quote:

Am I being too paranoid or do others do the same? Thanks for the input.

Yes you are being paranoid and wasting fishing time… I and MANY others I have boated with use them right outta the bag they come in and have caught ALOT of fish with them

JMHO Jeff

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Plenty of proof there that they are effective in river situations, has anyone had much luck with them outside river areas where the scent might come into play more? I too have picked up a bunch recently and find the smell to be very fake.

Gary Sanders
    Lake Wisconsin

Completely unnecessary to wash them

basseyes

I’m not really sure if what we like or don’t like the smell of, crosses over to the likes and don’t likes of a fish’s taste buds. I know power baits are awesome for bass fishing in lakes or slack water. River walleyes are such snatch and grabbers. What about cranks? It seems normally, a walleye takes a bait a lot different then say a summer time largemouth. Water temperature might have something to do with it? Colder maybe odor is less of an issue? Can you say ocd.

fishinhunt31
    Near Lake Winnebago

OCD, maybe I thought I’d ask….thanks for the feedback, greatly appreciated. The couple I have soaking in Gulp alive seemed to “bleed” a little and some have been in there since early last summer. Haven’t melted but who knows. Tight lines.

p4walleye
    Rochester, MN

attention to detail is good, but I think you are just fine straight out the bag. do what gives you confidence, who cares what others say-

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

Plenty of proof there that they are effective in river situations, has anyone had much luck with them outside river areas where the scent might come into play more? I too have picked up a bunch recently and find the smell to be very fake.

I use them to pick apart cabbage weed patches on northern WI lakes. Much like pitching for bass, just flip to each hole in the weeds.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

Since they are a site sponsor you are going to get nothing but replies in favor of them.

BBK, If you haven’t figured this out yet, here is a little help. James /IDO/ and the vast majority of staff and reporters are NOT advertising whores. We promote what we use; and use what we promote. In nearly every case, the products or site sponsors are companies with proven track records that perform well for us. I can’t speak for the business details of IDO, but generally site sponsors have been around IDO for a long time.

This is definitely a site where a crap product would be exposed very quickly. IMHO – I think James and all the moderators do an exceptional job on being fare when it comes to reviews on products here. That includes both Pro & Cons. The only posts I’ve ever seen deleted on a product was a blatant advertising or the natives got too restless and posted inappropriate comments. Find that type of honesty on another site! Sorry if I seem too defensive on that. I feel comments of that nature on here takes a serious poke at the credibility of IDO and all of the contributing members.

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

I travel a lot on business and fish many different lakes when I travel. Many places I visit, I get invited fishing because its something I have in common with the people I am working with, therefore I always travel with a bag if B Fish N plastics and jigs. I have caught fish with these baits straight from the bag. I would say the fish don’t mind the smell. I have no affiliation with the company. Just a darn good product.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

B’Fish’N plastics get used a lot in my boat.

Why?

Not because there a sponsor of mine. That wouldn’t count for much with my clients if the product didn’t work.

Its because these plastic just plain catch fish. That simple!

As for washing them, I don’t do that but I certainly don’t think your hurting anything and it may very well help the scents your applying soak in better.

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

Just maybe fish like the way they SMELL right out of bag,but whatever cause they sure catch a lot fish SMELL or no SMELL. …rrr

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

If no smell keeps them as cheap as they are right now keep it off I say. I remember first seeing all the big fish on this site with these plastics hanging out of their mouths and I had to get some but was afraid they were going to be expensive, only to find out they are the most affordable plastic around.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Quote:

I’ve taken to washing the plastics when I get ’em

I do the same thing! I’ve found the key to this, is washing them on a hot wing dam on pool 2, or a prime sand flat on pool 4. This seems to get the scent right and has resulted in some big fish catches and sore elbows the following day.

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

Quote:

Quote:

I’ve taken to washing the plastics when I get ’em

I do the same thing! I’ve found the key to this, is washing them on a hot wing dam on pool 2, or a prime sand flat on pool 4. This seems to get the scent right and has resulted in some big fish catches and sore elbows the following day.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

If you do wash them makes sure to dry them well before putting back in a bag. Storing them damp is not good unless you are trying to change colors, have them bubble up or some other funky thing .

fishinhunt31
    Near Lake Winnebago

I knew if this thread went on long enough there would be some “keeper” responses. I got a smile off that one too daddy. Thanks again for the feedback.

grey-beard
    McFarland, Wisconsin

I don’t wash my plastics and don’t think the fish find the out of the package smell offensive. I do believe that scents can help and especially in cold water conditions. I do know adding scents doesn’t offend because a number of times after a fresh application of scent before I could close the bail on the first cast I’ve been bit. There have been a number of occasions in my boat when the ringworms with scent are getting more bites.

I had to give a talk about scent and salmon’s ability to smell in part because my sponsor Brad’s cut plugs are hollow cavity that I fill with garlic roasted tuna. That’s another story. There is a fair amount of scientific information out there regarding fishes senses, primarily about bass and salmon. A salmon’s ability to smell puts dogs to shame and can detect the equivalent of a capful of vermouth in 50,000 gallons of gin. Now that’s a dry martini! One of the professors, Bill Carr who early on worked on attractants has since retired from the university and started his own scented bait company Fishbites. The saltwater guys are using his strips that look nothing like anything that would attract fish on its own quite successfully.

I wish there was more information about walleye and scents. The thought to wash plastics makes sense because if fish can smell that well they could just as easily be offended. I’ve caught a lot of walleyes with unscented ringworms and paddletails so pretty confident the fish don’t mind their smell.

Grey Beard

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.