Extended run generators

• muskeye
    Duluth, Mn

Anyone have info on extended run systems for non-suitcase Honda generators? Can you buy different connections for the different tank designs or do they fit universally?

kroger3
    blaine mn

Wether they work or not depends on if the generator has a mechanical fuel pump or just gravity feed. The Honda 2000 has a mechanical pump so it will create a draw to pull from the secondary tank. The newer Yamahas are gravity.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Never seen/heard of one for a non-suitcase (2000 ?)type.
    What size generator are you running and for what application?

muskeye
    Duluth, Mn

I think it’s a EB2200 or 2500. It’ll be used for powering an ice shack.

tmyboy2001
    Lakeville, MN

I just bought one last year for my Eu2000i and I love it. Could you provide a pic of the generator?

muskeye
    Duluth, Mn

Think it’s this one.

Attachments:
    1. honda.jpg

Boss Hawg
    Inactive
    Brainerd Lakes Area

Same system as a mechanical fuel pump model will still work if you put the tank above the generator for gravity won’t it?

tmyboy2001
    Lakeville, MN

This might be it, although I’m sure there are other options out there. I purchased the BERGs system from Northern Tool, but I know it would’ve been much cheaper to build my own using an extra factory fuel cap and an old boat motor tank. I’m just not that handy so I didn’t trust myself drilling out the original cap, etc. You may be able to build the same type of thing yourself.

http://www.genxdirect.com/breeze-extended-run-generator-system-b-e-r-g-s-clam-single-honda-eu3000is/

kroger3
    blaine mn

Same system as a mechanical fuel pump model will still work if you put the tank above the generator for gravity won’t it?

Sometimes yes and sometimes no.

First you need a secondary tank that drains from the bottom and not out the top with a pickup tube like a boat can does due to no mechanical draw. I have used some older snowmobile tanks before for this. Secondly some carberators are to sensitive to handle the added positive fuel pressure weight so they will push fuel right by the needle and flood it out.

tmyboy2001
    Lakeville, MN

First you need a secondary tank that drains from the bottom and not out the top with a pickup tube like a boat can does due to no mechanical draw. I have used some older snowmobile tanks before for this. Secondly some carberators are to sensitive to handle the added positive fuel pressure weight so they will push fuel right by the needle and flood it out.
    [/quote]

X2. Kroger you’re also absolutely right about the fuel pump issue, as well. I’ve learned all of this hard way, lol. Another trick I learned, and this was from the small engine tech, was that even with the fuel pump in the Honda, you still need to have both the internal tank full before you start it up with the external tank. It depends on the suction/siphoning from the external tank to keep the flow going. If you do, you can actually position the generator above the external tank, not that you would do that.

hl&sinker
    Inactive
    north fowl

“Honda, you still need to have both the internal tank full before you start it up with the external tank.”

I have never had a problem starting of with a half tank in my Honda. The extended run tank eventually tops of the primaty tank after running a while in my experience that with the extendid tank above the generator. I suppose ounce the siphon is generated the flow is faster than the intake of the engine.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Muskeye – are you running one house or the whole city?

muskeye
    Duluth, Mn

Well, 1800watts to run the deep dryer…

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Well, 1800watts to run the deep dryer…

“Fryer”?
    If so, I’m liking your thinking.

muskeye
    Duluth, Mn

Yes, a deep Fryer. All this just for some deep fried fish.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.