Extended run fuel tank

• Ryan Overson

I have a Powerhorse 2000 inverter generator. Acme Tools has a cap, hose and marine tank for extended gas run; however, since the generator doesn’t have a fuel pump, it works via gravity feed. No problem for me, I typically have my generator in a sled next to my truck bed. I use the tailgate as a makeshift roof if there’s light snow or rain.

So, I’m curious, how does the gravity feed work? The site doesn’t explain and I’ve searched the internet/YouTube. This has been out of stock on their site, but I found the cap and hose for this model, YMH1.2CS, on Amazon and other sites, so I ordered one, I just need to get the marine tank. The hose doesn’t have a ball pump, so I don’t get what starts the syphoning process.

Dave maze
    Isanti

Save yourself some hassle and get a primer bulb for the hose. In theory, the gas leaving the tank on the generator creates a vacuum and pulls the fuel from the extended run tank when it is above the generator tank. Adding the primer bulb takes the air out of the fuel line immediately and starts the fuel flowing down to the generator faster. Let us know how that kit works out for your generator when you have all the pieces together.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

The bulb also creates a leak point, I got rid of mine. You want gas dripping on your muffler? They perform the same without the bulb whether you use gravity or one with a fuel pump.

Ryan Overson

I got everything, including a Moeller cap with a manual vent that’s supposed to fit the Attwood tanks as well. It should be arriving next week. I should note, the YMH1.2CS from Amazon, was actually the one for a Honda, the red one, even though the package had the correct model number. I returned it and got one from Walmart.com. That one was correct and is a blue cap. The cap is a smidge loose, but the threads are correct, so it does tighten down and there’s a rubber gasket inside to create a seal. I will still need to test it, but not sure how I’ll know it’s working unless I let it run for several hours and notice gas in the extended tank going down.

Fishtrekker
    Land of 10,000 Lakes

Is anyone running a Predator 3500 and have added an extended tank? I found a handful of caps online but anyone have any experience with a certain cap that they would recommend?

Ryan Overson

I’d look at Pinellas line and fuel pump that you mount inside the generator, which allows for various size fuel tanks. You also mount a quick disconnect for the fuel line to the generator. They’re spendy, but seems like the best option, especially for those who use their house in the summer. They have a kit for the Predator 3500.

KDW

I bought a extended run cap for my Yamaha 2000 and attached a hose with a primer bulb – I then put it above the generator on a shelf to make sure it gravity fed – the machine runs for about 8 hours and quits well before the tank is even half gone. Not sure if it vapor locks or what.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

The gravity feed works because the vent is in your fuel tank and no longer in the Cap of your generator. I still say don’t screw with a bulb.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I run one on my wen and I got rid of the bumb due to a leak point

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.