Evinrude replacment?

• Nice Fella

Looks cool, but a diesel boat motor? It will take awhile for me to wrap my brain around that one.
    What’s next – a Tesla e-motor?

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

If it made sense, I would have no problem with a diesel, they already make a electric.

hillhiker
    SE MN

Looks cool, but a diesel boat motor? It will take awhile for me to wrap my brain around that one.
    What’s next – a Tesla e-motor?

This isn’t the first diesel outboard. Mercury Racing makes one out of an Opti as well, but it was really only pushed into the government and commercial markets. They do make a lot of sense for some applications. Think yachts with large tenders. They don’t have to bring gasoline with them on long trips. Instead they can just fill out of their primary diesel tanks for the main propulsion and the generator.

I would expect to see more and more electric as well. The Torqeedo electric motors perform surprisingly well if you have room for batteries.

Sylvanboat

Cox Marine website only shows one motor available. This one is 266 cu in. That would be a little big on my 16 ft walleye boat.

Nice Fella

https://www.torqeedo.com/us/en-us/products/outboards
    Those look kind of interesting, never seen one or even heard of them before. Thanks for posting. Looks to be a German company. They list plenty of dealers in the upper Midwest. A lot of guys moved to electric ice augers. Will outboards be next?

Weekender
    Southcentral MN

Oh my gosh…that is something I wish I could unsee! Do not look….not for the faint hearted!
    🤮

hillhiker
    SE MN

I think they may need to get the price down a bit on the electrics before they gain to much ground, but one day probably. There have been a couple electric pontoons built in the last couple years as well. In 2019 GM unveiled this one. Things are changing quick, and I could see them being very popular in boats. It would be great having a boat that quiet for putting around the lake at night with a beer!

Attachments:
    1. Annotation-2020-05-28-175319.png

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.