Which Length and Power Rods for Lures?

• Al Case

I’m a novice at musky fishing but I have many different rods and lures and no knowledge about which rod to use for different lures. I have a 7’2″ MH, 7’6″ MH, 8′ MH, 8′ H, 7′ H, 7’6″ H, and a 7′ 6″ XH. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Al

Eric Pomplun
    janesville, wisconsin

well usually if have one rod that you like a lot then you could probably just use that one for almost anything. but the rods with the heavier power i.e Heavy, xtra-heavy are the ones that you would use to throw heavier baits like big bulldawgs or any other big plastic bait. you can usually use a medium heavy for bucktails, towater, jerk baits etc

jakeh
    White Bear Twp

If I were you I would be mainly fishing with the the 8′ MH. This action can do many types of musky fishing. Then I would switch over to the H for BIG bucktails(super models) or bull dawgs. It really comes down to personal prefferance.

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

Welcome to IDO AL

If you really wanna get technical I’d say look at the rod and it will tell you what the suggested weight range is

Also most baits on the market have the weight ranges on the packaging

But if you no longer have any of the packaging, try looking for some of that info on thorne brothers web site as well as Rollie and helen’s web site.

But alot of it does really boil down to personal preference

Al Case

I don’t know the actions on most of them. But, if it helps, the 7’2″, 7’6″ MH and the 8′ H are Fig Rig Tooth Tamers, it doesn’t say what action they are. The 8′ MH is a Fenwick Avia Techna and I was told it is moderate action (bought it new butfrom a private party, but it doesn’t say, either.}
    The 7’6″ XH is a Team Diawa “Muskie”, the 7′ H is a Shimano Compre, The 7’6″ H telescopic is a Fenwick HMG. None of those have actions listed.
    Thanks,
    Al

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.