Muskie/cat fish reel question

• carphumper
    MN,Lakeland

My friend is looking into buying a new reel and asked me to help him. He would be using the reel for cat fishing and muskie fishing and will be seated on a 6 1/2 St. croix premier rod. I have a Abu Garcia Record size 60 with the power crank, that he really like but he likes the ambassador 7000i SYNC more. Does anybody have any suggestions on either of the reels that he should buy or is there a totally different one you think he should check out. He wants to spend 150$ tops on the reel. Thank you very much for any help or suggestions you give

shaley
    Milford IA

I would look at an Okuma Induron or Shimano Corvalus over the Abus. Way more reliable and weigh alot less. IMO the only muskie reel Abu makes is the Toro. I’m also not a big fan of short rods an 8′ or better makes fihing muskie baits alot easier on the body. To each their own on gear just my opinions after using the same equipment.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

The old Swedish Abu 7000’s were great reels. No experience with the new ones.

trucker
    Prairie DuChien WI.

I have used Abu Garcia reels when musky fishing for years including the 7000i. They are a little heavier but I have good luck with them.

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

The idea of the sync is cool. For cattin, I’d think it would be great but I wouldn’t want to cast one for hours. A 6500 would be way more comfortable. Overkill for the toothies.

shaley
    Milford IA

Big question is how much you fish for muskies. 3-5 times a year the Abus will get you by,75-100 days a year like I do you’ll want higher quality.

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

I have both the 7000c3i and the 7000c3 syncro

Both are great reels

I love the Sync drag system, but I mainly use it for trolling because its a line counter.

The 7000 c3i is great for casting, and once you’ve got it dialed in it’ll case a country mile

The only draw back is I wouldn’t throw DCG’s with it because its alot of work

You might consider the 7000C3i or the syncro reel for the cats, and a Diawa Saltist 40HA for muskies

The Diawa is a great reel for muskie and pulls in 48″ of line per turn of the handle, so its’ a powerhouse with DCG’s.

It’s only $189.00 too , but it weighs in at 24oz ,so its a big reel.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

ABu 6500 series for me as a base reel for both applications. 7000 is just too heavy for hucking baits all day. They are great reels though.

carphumper
    MN,Lakeland

i really do thank everyone for all your help. we will be looking into all of these reels i will let you know what we do. Thanks again

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.