Suggestions on good reliable muskie reel under $80

• musky18
    Long Prairie, Minnesota

If you are burning the big bucktails with a C4, you must have a forearm the size of Popeye’s!!! They are great for jerkbaits, but nothing with a gear ratio that high will stand up to that torture. If you go with the Calcutta it will probably last you longer, but you have a big difference in the gear ratio compared to a C4. Bust a 7000 that has a gear ratio in the 4’s, and crank your heart out. You will wear out way before the reel does!!!

haner

Absoluty burning tails w/ C4 (no problem). Yeah, i do have a clicking noise in my wrist and some soreness (i dont care). They can run, but cant hide !!!!!! Changed my mind about reels again. Called for a price on the Calcutta B series 400 and they said $325. No way, will continue to break C4’s for $85 instead in hopes one will last a little longer I can see going $200 for a good reliable reel, but come on $325 is getting out of hand???

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

You can get one of the new ABU records for about $130.00. In my humble opinion they are way better reels than the regular C4’s and quite a bit tougher.

haner

Thanks, i will look into that. What is the gear ratio. I want to try the suggestion a few posts back stating a lower gear ration may last longer?

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

Every one is right about spending more money for better gear however, I’ve switched to The Record series reels my self and I love them. these run around $140 how ever instead of getting a Calcutta which I have had and was not impressed with . You might try the Diawa Luna 300TD, these are about $220 and they are beefy and cast like a dream. It’s a bit more but at least not $350 a that calcutta would cost. Just an Idea.

musky18
    Long Prairie, Minnesota

I agree with plungepool in regards to the Diawa Luna. I just bought a new 8′ St Croix rod and think I am going to put a Luna on it. I have talked to quite a few guys that are switching from Calcutta’s to the Luna’s. I still love my Abu’s,and if it isn’t a Luna, then probably a 6600 SSC3! The fact of the matter is, every reel has their good’s and bad’s. How you take care of them, how you use them, it all affects them. Not saying you don’t take care of your equipment by no means, just speaking in a general matter.

jim_hudson
    Bayfield, WI

Slow

Those big blade baits will eat those high gear reels out quickly… For sure..

Lots of good info so far for you.. And definately go with a lower gear ratio if you will be thowing those big cowgirls and the alike… Personally, I have had great luck with the Pete Maina line-up of rods and reels… $149.00 bucks for a combo at Bass Pro, a higher end reel will cost more then a combo.. Get a 4:2:1 ratio reel, and put on the power handle that comes with it.. Your arms will thank you!!!!

Just my 2 cents…

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.