How did everyone do in 2006 muskie season

• haner

How did everyone do last year? Numbers? Size? What are the goals for this years muskie season?

bucky12pt
    Isle Mn

personally crappy!!! but everyone I brought with me last year seemed to hook a nice one. In my boat there were about 15-20 total. anywhere from 34″ upto a 51.5″

gary_wellman
    South Metro

I sucked……but last year was also a busy year for me. Didn’t get nearly the time on the water that I wanted. Nothing worth bragging about here.

I have different plans for 2007!

haner

Thats pretty good. Any patterns seem to work better than others. I noticed burning bucktails and spinners near shorline structures paid off best for me. And i mean burning where your hands really hurt at the end of the day.

Bob Bowman
    MN

Quote:

How did everyone do last year? Numbers? Size? What are the goals for this years muskie season?

Last year was a major up and down year for us(DAN). The year started off with lots of smaller fish(38-40) being caught and lots of lookers. Things really did not start uphill until early Sept. I had my 1st top 10 finish in a big tourny(650+) in Sept. I got 3 fish in the first day of the tourny and ended that tourny in 7th place. Then about 3 weeks later Larson sticks a new personal best(50″) from a metro lake that we have been working for well over 10 years. Then less then a week later I stuck my biggest to date(54.5) while fishing alone,…Say Gary I think I may have invited you that day . The end of the year was fantastic for us
    My goal for this year is to make it though the season without anymore physical therpy for muskie elbow, and to get my son his 1st muskie Good luck to everyone

haner

Good season, i never boated a fish in June or July. Ended w/ 35 fish. 8 over 50″. When it was hot in June and July I couldnt buy a fish. My brother lost about a 55-56 at the boat on Mille Lacs. Lost quit a few other nice fish. Goal this year is 40 fish over 33 inches. I dont think i can top the 8 over 50 though. I think i was awfully lucky in that area.

Bob Bowman
    MN

I sure would love to see some photos That is one heck of a year

haner

I will try to post some otherwise if we hit Tonka, can bring em with. The other lucky area was there were about 5 or 6 more between 48 and just under 50.???

Bob Bowman
    MN

Quote:

I will try to post some otherwise if we hit Tonka, can bring em with. The other lucky area was there were about 5 or 6 more between 48 and just under 50.???

E-mail them to me @ [email protected]. I can post them for you

haner

I think i got it, here it goes. 2 well over 50 with pretty huge girth. Girth was 25 and 26

Bob Bowman
    MN

Thats a fatty I olny see one photo though

haner

Here another well over 50, bad picture. Swallowed my bucktail whole and had to move quickly to avoid injury to fish.

haner

Lets see some of your big bruisers?

Bob Bowman
    MN

Here is Dan’s 50 from Forest

haner

Great photo, i need to take better photos, buy hate handling the fish more that i need to. What is the girth on that pig?

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

I wear a 44 waist, but please don’t call me a pig…

Bob Bowman
    MN

Quote:

I wear a 44 waist, but please don’t call me a pig…

Just….. “net boy”

Bob Bowman
    MN

how about a few from the cabin

Bob Bowman
    MN

one last one…this is kinda fun, not to mention that it is making me want to get out and throw baits

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Quote:

Then less then a week later I stuck my biggest to date(54.5) while fishing alone,…Say Gary I think I may have invited you that day

Shall we upgrade the delivery of the “salt to the wound” from dump truck to tractor/trailer?

haner

Very nice, Impressive!

Bob Bowman
    MN

Quote:

Quote:

Then less then a week later I stuck my biggest to date(54.5) while fishing alone,…Say Gary I think I may have invited you that day

Shall we upgrade the delivery of the “salt to the wound” from dump truck to tractor/trailer?

This summer my friend, we will get out together

haner

U got it!!

Bob Bowman
    MN

This fish I had follow late last fall, to be honest I had this fish up to the boat 5 times, but she just would not go. Finally, Dan tells me that if I don’t catch it he was going to…Well, the fish follows again on my bait, it turns on the 8 and opens up her mouth, I am thinking “SWEET”, I am going to get her on the 8, last minutes she just turns away and goes under the boat. Larson being the man of his word, picks up the rod with the tube on it, no sooner does the tube hit the water, and the rod folds in half…fish on. That was one of the late fall fish that I will never forget. He gave me a chance to close the deal, but I could not…Thanks Dan

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

I do what I can, when I can. It’s not everyday that I can call a fish like that, but when you see a gal that hot, a guy just knows she is gonna go.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Great pics guys! I hope to add a few to the forum this year!

In ’06, the first half of the season sucked for me. In fact, I hung it up until September. From late September to early November, I got out 4 times and really got on my technique game. In 4 outings, I counted 21 follows, 10 strikes, and got 4 in the net. For some, that’s not too impressive but from where I sit, that was a lot of action in a very short period of time. From what I’ve learned, I expect ’07 to be much better! C’mon May 26!!!

MN Musky
    Ham Lake/Mille Lacs, Mn

Bob, that is a beautiful fish!!!

My year started tough, didnt boat a fish til july then ended up great for me 40 fish in boat 5 over 50″, probably 25 0ver 45″, only 2 under 40″. For once I was the “hot stick” in my own boat. Usually,I am just “guide/ net man”.

I throw alot of double cowgirls and holcombe topwater baits. I only fish the pond.

Bob Bowman
    MN

Quote:

Great photo, i need to take better photos, buy hate handling the fish more that i need to. What is the girth on that pig?

We typically don’t take the fish out of the water at all, except for a photo. We get the fish into the big Beckman, and there she sits in the water the entire time. Get the hooks out or cut them out depending on how bad she’s hooked. Get the camera powered on, get the tape for a quick measurement. Pick the fish up, take a few photos, tape her, and off she goes. I would say that on average, the fish is not out of the water for more them 30-seconds. Having a big net is a must, the fish never has to be out of the water, except for a few seconds to snap some photos

agentesox
    Minneapolis, Minnesota

Quote:

Here is Dan’s 50 from Forest

HOLY SHNIT!!! That’s out of Forest???

I’ve used to fish that lake all the time years ago but never even got a look at anything like that. Very nice.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.