Palomar knots…….

• iowa roger
    North central Iowa

Last summer I lost a nice northern on a soft bait minnow using a palomar knot with 832 braid.
    I am now using the old blood knot that I have always used.
    Is this a problem with the hard line or is it just me.
    It was not a biteoff just came undone. I felt bad.
    The palomar is really a good knot, but I wonder if this is just a problem with braid.
    While posting, it seems the 832 is prone to wind knots. I switched back to some Birkley Ice crystal I think. It seems to work better for me in that respect.
    To each their own I guess.

Any ideas appreciated……..

Frenchman
    West Central Indiana

I have not had problems with the Palomar Knot when using Power Pro.

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

I use palomar knots all the time with fireline and have never had that happen. I would chalk it up to some fluke.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Lubricate the knot, and make sure it is cinched up tight. I see it all the time with my knots where i have the loop of the knot on the bottom side of the eyelet, just have to slide it up and cinch it tight.

All i use is palomer unless i’m tying super thick mono (Never do) or the hook eyelet is so small i can’t double the line through it.

WHat size line were you using?

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

I wrap the loop end through twice before I put the lure/leader through the loop and tighten. I call it a improved polamar knot. Lubricate before cinching tight, tighten both tag end and line end.

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Maybe try this one, looks like an enhanced Polomar Knot.

Link to the NANOFIL Knot on Net Knots.com

Appears one extra loop thru the center.

Here is the main link to

netknots.com

Good Luck

One problem I had/have with Superlines is they are so thin/small diameter that the line slides right thru Split Rings.

To fix that I just tie a small double knot with 8#-14# Mono on the single wire at the Split. This keep the line knot from sliding around the split ring.

Lost a Rattletrap one in a Tourney due to this problem. Brought a few weeds back, lure fell into the drink.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

That is exactly what I do. They are infringing on my copy right, I have been tying that knot for years, long before nanofil line was developed

joc
    Western and Central, NY

Hi,
    Never used Suffix braid. Simple Palomar Knot has never let loose for me when using Power Pro, Fire Line or Mono for me. Been using for ~ 20 years. Maybe a fluke? I’ve broken the line or damaged a lure and the knot held up on snags.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.