Eskimo Fatfish 949/949i

• Bryan Shelton

Does anyone own or have Fished out of one of these? Looking at possibly upgrading my Clam Base camp non insulated shack to a 949i but would like to hear some opinions.

Thanks!

gonehunting

The 949i house is a good house. For the same price look at the Clam Thermal Ice Refuge. Formerly known as the XL4000T. Scheels has their Jason Mitchell model of this exact house for $269 plus tax. They are a bit taller than the Eskimos and the doors are squared off making a bit easier to zipper. My opinion only.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Great house. Has been through some serious fishing weekends, and party weekends, held up well.

Really warm. Couple cargo nets, good windows, can’t complain except for the crappy bag it’s in.

Bryan Shelton

From what I have seen on videos and read on reviews, it looks like a good buy.

Brian B

Love my 949i. Plenty tall for a 6 foot guy and holds heat in very well. Have read so many negative comments on the bag, but it has given me zero problems.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Had mine since they came out. Uninsulated saves me few pounds and it’s just fine holding in heat. Bag is crap. On my second bag now. Zippers are still good all around after 5 or so years. Seams on bag have come apart on both bags but that is likely due to the fact that the bag is not big enough. I give it 9 out of 10.

shockers
    Rochester

I’ve had the insulated one for a couple years. Been good. As others have noted the bag isn’t great but that’s my only complaint.

Nathan Lindall
    Eden Prairie, MN

I’ve had my 949i a couple seasons and it’s held up really well. Gets warm pretty quick and fishes 3 people pretty good (2 gives you all the space you would want). IMO the bag itself isn’t too bad functionality wise and it’s fairly easy to put the house away even if you’re alone. Just get it into the bag about a foot, tip the whole thing vertical and start shaking it. The big issue with the bag is the backpack straps and velcro strips pull off of the bag really easily (easy to repair and mostly makes the bag look kindof crappy). Set up also only takes a couple minutes. Definitely look into some new tacks or a drill attachment to make things a little easier; unless the ice is really soft screwing those in can be nearly impossible. Overall a great house.

youngfry
    Northeast Iowa

I have the 949i… I’ve been super happy with it. Fished in SD on New Year’s Eve when it was -22 with a breeze. Ran the heater on low and the holes didn’t even freeze over and fish stayed lively inside the house.

Only issue I’ve had is frost when its real cold out. Frost builds on the walls and it adds a lot of weight and makes it nearly impossible to get back in the bag. I usually just toss it in the car and put it away when the frost is melted and dried out. Not a huge issue and may not be unique to this model.

Hoyt4
    NULL

If you can find one get it. I have been looking the last week or so an all are sold out unless you get the uninsulated version.

Mark Spesard

I’ve had my 949 for years now. I like it. I did upgrade my bag to an Otter pro lodge bag ($35). Fits like a dream! Even when all frosted up there’s no issues putting it away. I don’t have any complaints about the shack at all. Just wish I would’ve gotten the insulated one.

catnip
    south metro

I went from a clam 6pack to the 949i this season and I like it a lot better than the clam. It could be a couple inches taller but other than that it’s great. The Windows are better and lower than the clam not to mention removable. and the nets in the ceiling are nice too. It’s warm I side at -20 and windy. My holes were freezing up but I had no snow to bank up.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

I bought the 949i from fleet farm 244.95 on sale only fished out of it once so far ,lot of room ,take it easy on the door zippers, for awhile until the material is stretched some. They are tight when coming to the rounded corner,wax the zippers for less friction.Overall i think a very good buy.

Besox

Bought a Quickfish 5i because I like the 949i I had fished out of in the past. Just a little more room but taller for you longer guys.
    Nice house for the price!

Besox

Where did you find the bag for sale?

bdmac

Have fished out of my friends 949i a few times. I have nothing but positive things to say about it. On one occasion we fished three big guys out of it and it performed just fine. I have the Quickfish 3i and love it! My 3i has seen a lot of use and I am very pleased with the quality and durability. Glad I went with the insulated version as I have had it out in below zero temps on several occasions and always stayed comfortable (I don’t like fishing with a coat on!). I haven’t fished out of any other hub house, so can’t make a comparison, but I know I would buy another eskimo.

Tim Watson

I’m thinking about the Eskimo 949i or the Otter XTH Lodge. I’m probably sale shopping for next year though. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Also, pros/cons of insulated versus non insulated? I currently own an Otter flip cabin that I fish out of the most by myself so the hub would be used only a few times of the year with wife and 2 kids. Thanks.

Tinker
    Iron Range

I have the Clam 6×6 thermal. Well made and no problem heating but do have some frost on the windows which is really no problem. I do have to say it is a bear for 1 person to set up.

Mike Oak

I’m on my 4th season with a 949i, no complaints. Go insulated for sure, whatever you get. A friend of mine was next to me in an otter hub on a below 0 day. We both had big buddies going. His seemed to hold heat better than mine. Both have different small features that are nice. Otter has the hose hole for running a big tank outside the shack. Eskimo has the netting on the ceiling. Both seemed pretty comparable though.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Bought a Quickfish 5i because I like the 949i I had fished out of in the past. Just a little more room but taller for you longer guys.
    Nice house for the price!

some men are longer than others……..

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.