Clunky AP 65 Minnkota

• Crankbait

I hope my subject doesn’t make it look like I’m trying to bash Kotas! I’ve had this motor since last August and have always noticed that after the prop stops turning the whole shaft rocks back and forth in the housing with a very noticeable CLUNK…clunk…clunk. I was at Red Wing friday and had to set the speed to 10 in order to combat some stiff winds and the clunking became VERY annoying.

Is this just the nature of the AP 65? This motor has very low hours on it. I know a lot of folks on here use this motor as well as a couple of pros and guides so just wondering if anyone has any tips or ideas i could try.
    Thanks for any help!
    Chris

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I am no expert, but I have owned two MinnKotas ( I love them ), and they both seem to do it. It is noticeable when you let off the pedal or if you tap the pedal a few times to adjust. I think it is just the pure power of the Kota’s rocking back after you let off the pedal.

smokercraft

Try taking the side cover’s off and inspecting the pin the motor pivots on to see if an end cap has fallen off the pin. The end caps keeps the pin centered. Mine worked its way off and was clunking around like you describe.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Also check to make sure that when you have the motor deployed, the shaft does not come in contact with the boat. (Common install error)

I have had Minkota Powerdrives on several boats. They do “clunk” around, but not to the point of being annoying!

Jon J.

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

I have the same trolling motor. The one I have does the same thing……………I guess it’s just the way it’s suppose to work

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

I have the MK PD and there is no clunking, and I’ve been on board with a few APs with no clunking. I would give MK a call myself. They’ve been a good company to work with for most folks I’ve encountered.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

It isn’t the “compass” going out and the PD is going wacky, is it?

I know two people with the new PD and their “boards” went out and they had to be calibrated. What would happen, is when they had the AP on, the “computer” would have a mind of its own and do what it wants to.

Also, the PD system does have a “sloppier” bracket system, when compared to traditional front mount systems. Because of this, they are a little “looser”, but I would dig into it and see where it is “clunking” at. It doesn’t seem normal to be that “clunky”.

Good luck and let us know what you find out!!!

Inge
    West Central WI

I am on my 2nd Minkota, this one is a 24V(previous was a 12V). Both have the clunk you mention, when:
    – you have the drive set about 5 or higher
    – you let off the pedal quickly..or
    – tap the pedal quickly

The motor is installed correctly, the shaft doesn’t touch the boat anywhere, and they both did it from the day I installed them, on 2 different boats(current is a ProV).
    Yes it is annoying….darn so at times.

Inge

Crankbait

Thanks for all the feedback guys! Sounds like I might have to live with it and maybe I’m being to picky. I’ll take a closer look at the bracket pin/housing when I get a chance and see if there might be a way to tighten things up a bit. I have to store my boat in a rental unit so I don’t have it here right now.
    I have heard about the tendency for the compass to act up occasionally and spin the boat around in circles but I haven’t had that problem when in AP mode.
    Maybe next time I’ll try the Maxxum bow mount. I’ll give Minnkota a call and see what they say. I have received some great customer service from them in the past.
    Thanks again,
    Chris

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.