Locators and Power

• magnum165
    Baldwin, WI

How important is the peak to peak or RMS power rating on a locator? Is the difference noticable on 1500 watt versus a 2400 watt?

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

500w RMS is pretty standard and plenty of power for inland lakes and rivers. 500w is 4000ptp. You don’t have to have that much power but that is pretty standard these days. There are lots of other factors that go into a good unit. If a unit has a lot of power but a mediocre receiver, it’s not going to do a very good job for you. If you’re trying to decide between two units it is probably better to name the specific units and we can offer feedback that way.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Here is an article that has an explination That I think explains it well. Its about 2/3’s down the page that talks about RMS. When I was talking to engineers for H/Bird before I bought my 1197, they told me the same thing.
    Power!

Though having the power to drive a signal and to receive it is important, quality parts play a stronger role in the big picture.

magnum165
    Baldwin, WI

I have been looking hard at the Lowrance HDS 5’s but I am interested in the Fishelite 642c’s that are reduced in price right now. My main goal is to go to color and have GPS on both units. I plan I purchasing two units, one for the front and one for the back. I noticed there is a big power difference between the two units and I was curious if I would notice the difference.

backlasher
    Fridley, Mn

How about the difference between the Birds 898c & 998csi’s. I see the 898 has 500/4000ptp watts and the 998 has 1000/8000ptp watts. I like the idea of spending $500 less on the 898, but was concerned about less power. Where would more power be beneficial?

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

I have been looking hard at the Lowrance HDS 5’s but I am interested in the Fishelite 642c’s that are reduced in price right now. My main goal is to go to color and have GPS on both units. I plan I purchasing two units, one for the front and one for the back. I noticed there is a big power difference between the two units and I was curious if I would notice the difference.

I think the HDS-5 is a better choice not only because of the power but moreso because of all the other additional features and the ability to expand and be compatible with future technology upgrades.

magnum165
    Baldwin, WI

Quote:

Quote:

I think the HDS-5 is a better choice not only because of the power but moreso because of all the other additional features and the ability to expand and be compatible with future technology upgrades.

Ignoring all the other diffierences between the two units would I notice the power difference fishing inland lakes and rivers? I usually never fish deeper than 25 or 30 ft max. Keep in mind I am a walleye angler so I usually looking for bottom hugging fish. Thanks for you input in advance.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ignoring all the other diffierences between the two units would I notice the power difference fishing inland lakes and rivers? I usually never fish deeper than 25 or 30 ft max. Keep in mind I am a walleye angler so I usually looking for bottom hugging fish. Thanks for you input in advance.

For walleye on the bottom I would definitely go with the HDS. It’s true there were some early issues with the HDS units but it appears the bugs have been worked out now. And the ability of the HDS units is incredible. For pure sonar ability, it’s tough to beat.

But again, it’s not just the power difference that creates the gap between these two units. It’s much more than that.

magnum165
    Baldwin, WI

Well Wade, you have convinced me. What is the best deal you can give me on one for the bow and one for the transom?

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

Well Wade, you have convinced me. What is the best deal you can give me on one for the bow and one for the transom?

Good choice Mike!

I sent an email to the email address you have listed here on IDO. Let me know what you think. Thanks Mike!

magnum165
    Baldwin, WI

Got the email mail Wade. Thanks.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.