Mercury Verado Help

• Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

I’ve had the Verado for just over a week now. The break in period was done prior to my getting the boat as it was a demo boat. Anyway the Verado currently won’t go above 3800 RPM. It’s a 2009 150hp with a 19 pitch Tempest Plus. It’s on a 2009 Crestliner Raptor 1850 (boat and motor weight #2000). Top speed of 43.5 MPH with 3 guys, fishing gear, and 1/2 tank of gas (approx 15 gallons).

It’s only ever given the normal start up beep. However today I got the extended warning beep and the motor died. I could only get it restarted for about 3 -5 seconds and it would shut down and give the warning beep again.

Anyone have any idea what may be going on? Does the peak 3800 RPM have anything to do with the shut down?

What are you current Verado owners seeing for RPMs? Thanks guys.

mojogunter

A couple of things I think your Tach must be off because I don’t think it would be going 44mph at 3800RPMS. It should be about 6000 RPM’s at WOT. I have no idea what it would be, and as much as it sucks. I think you should just bring it back to the dealer and say “fix it quick please”. I had a 150 Merc on a ProV 1775 that would go about 55 mph at 5600 Rpm with a 21 pitch prop on it.

Verado 200 Specifications

Propshaft Rated Horsepower (HP / kW) 200/147

Max RPM (WOT) 5800-6400

Cylinder/Configuration Straight 4, 16-valve direct acting double overhead cam (DOHC)

Displacement (CID/cc) 105.7/1732

Displacement Liter/CID 1.7/105.7

Bore & Stroke (in) 3.23 x 3.23

Bore & Stroke (mm) 82 x 82

matt_schultz
    Mississippi River Pool 4

I had the same motor and prop on a similar aluminum and I was seing 50 mph turning about 6000 rpms or so.

Check your pm’s for some other thoughts on the issue.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Have you found a Verado forum? I heard there is a outstanding one online, somewhere, I’ll bet they have some guess too.

Sorry don’t have a link for you, I know there is one out there that should help you.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Have you found a Verado forum? I heard there is a outstanding one online, somewhere, I’ll bet they have some guess too.

Sorry don’t have a link for you, I know there is one out there that should help you.

Thanks, yeah I know that site. Glen (the administrator) posted his answer almost immediately. Here is the link to the site for anyone else with a Verado or Verado question.
    http://www.veradoclub.com/smf/index.php

mojogunter

What did he come up with for an answer for you?

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

What did he come up with for an answer for you?

Here is Glen’s statements.

Quote:

have you read the owner’s manual or anything in the new owner’s section?

If you did, you would know that 3800 is so low you are doing damage to the engine – take it in and get it looked at. A verado MINIMUM should turn 5800.

Something is very, very wrong….go no further until a CERTIFIED tech reviews the situation.

Sorry to be blunt, but you did not do your homework.

Quote:

http://www.veradoclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=570.0

Quote:

http://www.veradoclub.com/docs/VOT210c.pdf

Hopefully it’ll be on it’s way into the shop today. I’d like to be down only for a short period. I’ve got fishing to do.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.