Intermittent tilt/trim problem

• walleyehunter
    Melrose, WI

I have a 2025 lund pro V with a 225 Optimax on it. 2 weeks ago I started having intermittent problems with the tilt and trim working at the Throttle. Both the switch on the motor and in the front work fine. When the motor is off or I am at idle, the throttle switch will not work. When I put the hammer down, it will usually start working. I believe I may have a weak/bad switch at the throttle that needs to be replaced. Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks,
    Justin

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

the prob is deff in that run or wires, (hyd. to throttle) or switch based on the description. id start by splitting the throttle handel and looking for bad connection and testing the switch with a volt meter.

kurt-turner
    Southeast MN

Justin – the one time this happened to me it turned out that my battery had lived out it’s life…. New battery and the problem was resolved. Something to consider….

walleyehunter
    Melrose, WI

Thanks for the replies. The battery is brand new and fully charged, so I elimated that issue. I thought maybe bad solenoids, but the other swtiches working eliminated that one. I believe I have a faulty switch of possibly bad connection in the wiring to that switch. I pulled the throttle apart and everything looks brand new, but that means nothing with electronics. Ill check voltage tonight.

bassn7
    Bruce,WI

the problem is in the wires from the switch into where it goes thru into the boat the wires flex and break inside the insulation if you take it apart and pull on the wire you can see the insulation streach my son just had his do this and I’ve had it happen on my nitro I had,I finally took and cut a bigger hole to stop it from pinching when you move the shifter ,take a look it’s quite common I believe
    Stan

walleyehunter
    Melrose, WI

Quote:

the problem is in the wires from the switch into where it goes thru into the boat the wires flex and break inside the insulation if you take it apart and pull on the wire you can see the insulation streach my son just had his do this and I’ve had it happen on my nitro I had,I finally took and cut a bigger hole to stop it from pinching when you move the shifter ,take a look it’s quite common I believe
    Stan

Thanks for the advice I will have to check that. I didn’t have time to track down the problem before my trip up North. While on the water I figured out that if I moved the throttle just far enough ahead into gear, the trim would start working. The minute I backed off it would stop again. The same starting spot was extremely consistent. I will start tracing and checking wires.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.