Tiller Trolling Trauma

• Jim K
    Mpls, Mn

I am in the process of researching a new boat. I know I want a tiller. Most often I’m fishing alone (so I need a boat that’s easily launched), but occasionally have one other person with me. I’m looking for a rig that I can use on the Mississippi, Mille Lacs, and some small “trolling motor only” lakes. It has to be big enough to handle Mille Lacs, but small enough to fish all day with a bow mount on a little lake.     Also, though I’ve never used one, the quiet clean 4 stroke sounds soooooo appealing. I think there are boats out there that meet my needs with one problem-trolling speed! I troll an awful lot (fall nights on the Big Pond, #5 shad raps on the river, 17′ deep weed line on Minnetonka, etc.) and need to get down to at least 1.5-2 m.p.h. g.p.s.. What rig are you running that can handle the bigger waters yet get down to a descent trolling speed? Anybody else out there wrestle with this problem? What was your solution? Thanks for your insight and help!

Dave G
    Rochester, MN

Jim,

There is not a boat out there that does everything well. My tiller is a Lund 1675 Explorer with a Johnson (really a Suzuki) 70 hp 4 stroke. It trolls down just fine for pulling plugs, but not enough for 3-waying floaters/spinners – I use a couple small buckets to slow down for enough for that presentation when in the river with current. You may need to get a trolling motor like a Yamaha T-8.

I would not feel comfortable on big water with big wind as the boat would get tossed around a lot, but it would probably be safe as it is 90” wide. Lund has replaced this boat for 2004 with a 17’ model.

If you are interested in more details about this boat and making it more comfortable you can click on the below link. If your body is in good shape (no back, feet, eye, lung, etc. problems) then don’t bother clicking on the link.

http://www.walleyesearchers.com/comfortsboat.htm

Dave Gulczinski

Don Hanson

Check into a boat in the 16′, 16.5′ range. Big enough to handle Mile Lacs but gives you the freedom to hit smaller ponds. I fished out of a 16.5 tiller a few years ago. The boat handled big water fine. The boats in that size range were a snap to load and unload. I used a roller trailer and could easily push the boat off with one hand. The roller trialer worked well for shallow ramps also. A 16′ will weigh in around 800lbs.
    A 24 volt system will cover your electric trolling needs. Plenty of power for all day use. I used both a bow and transom mount on mine. The 74lb thrust covered almost all trolling situations. I agree with Dave, you may need to add a kicker. To keep the weight down you may want to check out some smaller hp motors. I am currently using a 4hp Johnson for a kicker.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I run a Lund Mr. Pike 16 which is a 16.6 console boat but they do make that boat in a tiller model called a Pro Angler 16. It has a 88” beam, set up for 12/24 volt trolling motor, two live wells, IPS hull for smoother ride and weights 1045 lbs. I really love the boat. That boat with a small kicker on it would be an excellent set up for fishing. I run a 6 hp Johnson 2 stroke kicker and it slows way down for trolling. If you want a bigger boat my son Nate has a 18 ft. Lund Pro V console boat with a 150 hp motor and has a 9.9 4 stroke kicker that he does alot of trolling with and a 24 volt front trolling motor up front on a huge front platform that he has only several months use on the boat and will sell it as its a 2004 sponsor boat and he will getting a new one in a couple months. You can get a really great deal on this boat. It is fully rigged with lots of goodies. This boat will give you the best of both worlds. Thanks, Bill

Jim K
    Mpls, Mn

Dave, Thanks for the info! I think like you-I’m not getting any younger, so comfort is important, and what’s functional is fine-no racing flames for me! You have some good ideas. I will remember your rod rack, that was a concern I had, I’ve always wanted more rods along than I’ve had room for. A few questions for you if you don’t mind? Your Explorer is 16’6″-right? How much garage space did you need? Mine is 21′, so I was thinking that I’d probably have to get a swing tongue trailer, but would like to avoid that if I can. I know even without dragging pails around some drop offs are dang near impossible to follow, because they are so sharp and irregular, but I’m wondering how much steering ability do you lose with your trolling buckets out? Maybe none. I see you have a transom electric. How’s that for forward trolling? What pound thrust is it? 12 or 24volt? Thanks and Good Fishn!

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Good suggestions here guys. Dave, I love your modifications. Nice job!

One thought I would add regarding trolling slow and staying comfortable doing it. A bow mount electric might me the way to go. The Minn Kota Power Drive or the Autopilot (even better) can troll for long periods of time on a single battery charge. I can generally troll all day and I only run the 12 volt system. And, you don’t have to sit at the bow to run the motor. The 20-foot cord allows you to run the trolling motor from any spot in the boat.

I run a Lund Explorer 1675 side console with a 90hp Merc. I almost always run the trolling motor from the captain’s chair. I generally sit the foot control pad on a cooler next to me and steer with my left hand instead of my foot. I’m more comfortable that way and I get better control. When I’m pulling live bait rigs I like to go very slow and I want as much boat control as possible. This system beats any other I know.

As for the boat itself, your asking for it to do some pretty diverse things (I don’t blame ya). It’s going to be difficult to find the “perfect boat” to meet all your needs, but I would take a look at the Lund Explorer (now 1700 for 2004). I honestly feel it might be a little small for the big pond on a windy day, but it will meet all the other needs you mention. Add the bow mount trolling motor. Don mentioned a roller trailer. I use a bunk and actually find it easier to load by myself than the roller but I hear a lot of different opinions on that. One other option is an electric wench to save the back pain.

Best of luck with what ever you decide and welcome to the site!

Wade

Dave G
    Rochester, MN

Jim,

In answer to your questions:

My 1675 Lund Explorer is 16’6” long and on a 2000lb Shoreland’r roller trailer without a swing tongue. If the 70HP motor is turned to one side the whole rig is 21’7” long. The tongue on the trailer appears a bit longer than necessary and I could easily cut a foot off of it if I had to fit this rig in a 21’ garage.

If you use two trolling buckets (one off each side) there is no problem steering. If you use only one bucket (even if it is tied off the bow) you could at times have big problems steering. When I was first experimenting with only one bucket I almost slowly crashed into other boats several times.

I fish river currents most the time and a 90” wide boat really needs a 24-volt electric motor (mine is a 76lb thrust). It is OK for forward slow trolling but I decided I liked it as a backtroller (motor head reversed on shaft) as I primarily use it while jig fishing. Pushing a boat forward with the small prop on an electric can be frustrating with wind and current, therefore I pull the boat backwards most the time. I really like the trolling motor on the transom, but there are times when a bow mount autopilot would be very nice. If you don’t have a gas kicker, a 24-volt system also gives you a bit of backup in case the main motor dies.

One other note – I know many people (especially with bigger console boats) love the bunk trailers for easy power loading. I find that the roller trailers load just fine with tillers because the weight is in the back of the boat and centered. An added plus – I fish all winter and rollers never freeze to the boat.

Just let me know if you ever want to go fishing in my boat– my guide fee is $0 and I can go any day of the week.

Dave Gulczinski

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I run a Lund 1675 Explorer SS also. I do not run a tiller but these boats are a great Big Little boat..lots of room, plenty of storage, very user friendly..I have a 50hsp Merc with a T-8 Yamaha kicker…

The price is right too !!!

Check them out, you won’t be sorry !!

brett-king

Jim You have a private message.
    Brett King

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

I have to put in my vote for the 1675 explorer as well.Mine is rigged with a 90 johnson and an electric troller front and back. I like hand control on the front for better control.that and a drift bag give all the control needed. With the 90″ width I feel safe on Mille Lacs and would even tackle the Great Lakes with some good planning and common sense.

Jim K
    Mpls, Mn

Thanks to everyone for your experienced insight. How great it is to get help before putting out the bucks. Dave G, Wow! Thanks for the offer, I’d like to take you up on it, but it sounds like the weather is going real frigid real soon. I think your boat is very close to what I’m looking for. It sounds like you’ve done your homework. By your profile I see that you live in Rochester, how about if I invite you to breakfast somewhere near your home so I can pick your brain a little more?   If that sounds ok to you, send me a personal message and we can figure out where and when.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Hello Jim K,

Welcome to the In-Depth Angling, you may have already seen this but here is a link to the 1700 • 1600 EXPLORER

If it was me I would look at the 16 PRO ANGLER as it would probably fit in your garage better that the 1700 Explorer and it would be a little more stable boat for the big pond.

I run a 1997 1650 Angler with a single console, I really like this boat, not to big and not too small. Although I do not own one yet I would highly recommend the Yamaha T-8 Kicker I have fished with guys who run the T-8 and you can not beat it for precise boat control. If you can not afford to get the trolling motor right away then Dave’s bucket system works great! Remember to use 2 buckets one on both sides of the boat.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Hey Jim be sure to let us know what boat you end up getting

Jim K
    Mpls, Mn

Steve and everyone else,Ya you betcha!For the past 20 years I’ve been content with my little S14′ deluxe Lund. I put a deck on the front, electric motors on the front and back, and a 30 horse Mariner (originally 15 horse but up graded after figuring out how long the Mississippi is, let alone lock #2-lol-never have gone the full length of it and, til recently, hardly as far as the 494 bridge). It wasn’t til about 3 years ago that I first started yearning for one of them clean smelln silent 4 stroke motors. It was about the same time that I tried the fall night bite on Mille Lacs. As everyone can guess, my little Lund really wasn’t very safe on the Big Pond, and I didn’t dare venture very far from what ever landing I launched from-still I caught some niiiiiiice eyes (what a lake!). Anyway, because of the afore mentioned, this is the year that I’m going to make the plunge (so I don’t on Mille Lacs-gulp). I’m going to the sportsman show in St Paul to sit in an Alumacraft, Crestliner and Lund with an open mind, but I think I have a pretty good idea of what I want, thanks to everyones help here, either the Lund Explorer 1700 or the Lund 16 Pro Angler powered by a 70 horse 4 stroke EFI Johnson or Suzuki-Thanks Dave (come on warm weather!).I haven’t seen any of these products yet, so I can’t say for sure, and I will want to sleep on the decision of what ever looks good-I’ll probably have this boat for many, many years-but a new boat is definitely in the cards.I will let everyone know what I end up with.Good Fishn to ya all!

Jim K
    Mpls, Mn

Decisions, decisions, decisions! All these beautiful boats, but can only buy one-rats!!!! After attending the Mpls Boat Show and sitting in an Alumacraft, Crestliner, and Lund; and trying to imagine what it might be like to be fishing out of each-weighing the pros and cons of the features of each- I did decide on, and ordered, the Lund 16 Pro Angler. It will be powered by a 70 horse Suzuki 4 stroke EFI tiller motor. It will rest on a Shorelander roller trailer-2400lb capacity.The only extras I ordered for now was a 2 bank charger, 2 additional interior lights, and a 24 volt outlet in the stern of the boat. I did order a reconditioned Maxxum 74 bow mount from Cabala’s. I plan on installing my own electronics, Eagle Fishmark 320- Eagle Fishelite 320, for front and back respectively. I will wait on the other extras til I get her on the water. I did look at the new Minn Kota Vector 3x transom trolling motor and was very impressed. I will take delivery on the 23rd of this month.I think I’ll be very happy with this rig.Good Fishn to ya all!

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Sounds like a Fantastic Rig Jim !!

Have Fun !!

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

You will love the boat. I have the Mr. Pike 16 which is the same boat but with a console instead of the tiller. I have a 6 hp Johnson 2 stroke kicker and love to sit back there and troll. Thanks, Bill

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Jim, You will be happy with the Lund. Sounds like you got it set up very nice. Congrats on that new rig! My only thought to you is take a look at the new Eagle 480 series instead of the 320s. Just as well get the extra pixel count. Just my opinion.

Jim K
    Mpls, Mn

Wade, I agree, the 480’s would be better, but I already own the 320’s. I’ve been using them on my old 14′ Lund. Maybe in a year or two I’ll upgrade my electronics. Who knows maybe by then they’ll have 780’s-lol.

Dave G
    Rochester, MN

Hey Jim,

I am sure you will get a lot of enjoyment out of that new rig. I know we e-mailed each other several times and I kind of thought you were leaning toward the Lund 17′ Explorer. Could you let us know what is was about the Pro Angler that you liked over the Explorer? The specs on the two boats are very close to each other – it must have been a tough decision.

Where did you buy it?

Dave Gulczinski

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

Wade, I agree, the 480’s would be better, but I already own the 320’s. I’ve been using them on my old 14′ Lund. Maybe in a year or two I’ll upgrade my electronics. Who knows maybe by then they’ll have 780’s-lol.

Ahhh, I see. I thought you were buying all new toys.
    We’ll keep one of those 780s on backorder for ya!

Enjoy that new rig!

Jim K
    Mpls, Mn

Dave I bought the rig from Rapid Sports Marine on the north edge of town. I actually liked the layout of the Explorer better-more convenient-shelf like rod storage areas but I felt the Pro Angler was a sturdier boat. If it wasn’t for the fact that I intend to fish Mille Lacs a lot more I would of gone with the Explorer. I also felt the 16’6″ length seemed more fishable, easier to manuever, than the 17’2″ of the Explorer. Good fishn to ya all!

zamer
    Grimes, Iowa

I bought the 70 Hp Suzuki 4 stroke last year and you are going to love it. It is very quiet and super fuel efficient. I have mine on a 1800 Pro V and get about 33 mph so you should do a bit better on top end. The only problem is it does not troll slow enough. About 1.8 mph on my boat. Great engine anyway. Hope you enjoy it.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Congrats on the new rig Jim, I am sure you will be happy with it. Here is a pic of mine, be sure to say hi if you see me on the water.

Jim K
    Mpls, Mn

Steve,Thanks. Yeah, I’m excited! As far as the river goes, I’m mostly a pool 2 guy, but hope to make it down there a time or two this year. Don’t have the know how or equipment to post pictures, but my rig is white and silver with a red streak (not flames)-maybe them fishys will think that a cloud is overhead and won’t hesitate to take a jig offering-lol. I’ll keep an eye out for you.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.