Shakespeare “Wonderod” w/ Sportmaster reel?

• amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Anybody have any info on the value of this flyfishing rod/reel combo? I have one that I am looking to get rid of, but looking for some input first. From what I gathered so far is it was designed sometime in the mid 1940’s?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Does the rod have red thread windings?

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Quote:

Does the rod have red thread windings?

Nope, the windings are brown, unless they faded over the years.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I will have to take a better look and see if I can find any info stamped on the reel seat. I wasn’t sure where to find the info. It is definitely a fiberglass rod of some sort.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I couldn’t find any markings with numbers. There is a large S on it.
    The only other thing on it is something alongthe lines of “The first straight fiber” and something along the lines of “Patented spiral bindings”.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

They made Wonder Rods until the late 1960s…The patented Howald process (spiral wound glass) made them one of the better rods for their time. I fished with a few and loved them.
    The never used one on Ebay (80$) is your clue…depreciate yours in comparing the two…The reel is a separate collectible to also check for on Ebay or do a computer search.

TROUTMAN
    S.E.Minnesota

At one time,they had a fly rod appraisal feature on this site.Don’t know if they still do.
    The Classic Fly Rod Forum

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

There can be a vast differance between Ebay asking orice and actual value. I am only a very casual collecter but I would say $25 to $50 for the combo would be in the ballpark.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Thanks for all the replies guys
    With the checking I was able to do, I figured I would try and get $50 for the combo. It will probably be listed in the classifieds along with a lot of other fishing rods and tackle in the next few days or so.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.