outboard not working right!

• llong

I have a 1978 25horse johnson I use on my hunting/fishing boat that is giving me a pain. The problem is when I try to get any speed up the motor kicks out of gear and the motor revs up , I have tied a rope to the shifter and I hold that tight so I am able to go faster but it will pop in and out of gear real quick but the motor does not rev up, it just kinda jerks. What is causing this problem? thanks for the help

onestout
    Hudson, WI

the clutching between forward and reverse in your lower unit is giving you problems. Take to a repair shop, those aren’t hard to fix.

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

you probably need these parts click The little knobs on the end of the clutch dog get worn, it’s the piece with the teeth inside of it. The cradle wears out too. It’s not a terribly hard job to get in that case and fix stuff if it’s the kind of gearcase that splits in the middle. You also might as well get new seals for the gearcase. It might take a few hours to complete if it’s that the case I’m thinking of.

perch_44
    One step ahead of the Warden.

yep, that “fork” at the end of the shift rod needs to be replaced. on the inside of it, there is a knob on each side, and they just become worn over time which can make it slip in and out of gear. it’ll take you a few hours to do, but its not entirely too bad. while you’re in there, replace all the seals, and gaskets, and also the impeller.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.