New trolling motor

• holennet
    Park View, Iowa

Getting ready to purchase a new trolling motor. I am considering the Minn Kota, Terrova and Powerdrive V2 models.
    The Terrova 55 with autopilot goes for $959. The Powerdrive V2 55 with autopilot goes for $739. Is the Terrova a much better motor, is it worth 200 bucks more for the long run? Any advice would be appreciated.

Bill

walleyewacker18
    Rice Lake, WI

I have heard way to many good things about the Terrova to not go with that one. If and when I get a new trolling motor thats what I am going with!

dan-tessmann
    Kieler, Wis

Dont get the V2, I have one and I wish i didn’t. The whole dsign is not very good, the stow and deploy release button really takes somes muscle to employ. The pedal is junk, its not sealed and if any water gets in or around the pedal you will have problems. I’m on my third pedal with the fourth coming in the mail this week. The whole unit has too much play in it. I can only see this model working well on lakes because the responce of the pedal is super slow and under powered for any use in current. This is just my experience and opinions, Dan

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

The two trolling motors were designed for different fishing styles. What type of fishing do you mainly do? Are you a walleye, bass, pike/muskie, or panfish? Depending on your style the V2 might be the trolling motor for you, it also might not be. If your a run and gun type of a guy then the Terrova is the way to go, if your more laid back leisure fisherman the I would save the money and get the V2, put that money into something else fishing related or boat related… Just a thought.

holennet
    Park View, Iowa

Thanks for the advice guys. Did not know that trolling motors were designed for a style of fishing. My style is to adapt. I’ll run and gun, and also concentrate on walleye, pan fish and white bass. Then there are the times that it is a pleasure to be laid back. I am leaning towards the Terrova.
    Take care and good fishing,
    Bill

boos1906

Bill I would go with the terrova. I have a power drive. The trolling is only two years old and I just got it back a few weeks ago from minnkota because the foot pedal was no good.

hookem_9
    Hastings, MN

I bought a terrova over the winter…. Love it! Very happy with it’s design and fuction. The foot control is the biggest difference, and the terrova control is perfect.

bigpike

Talked with the Minn Kota service guy at Scheels and he said he has had only three Terova’s come in since they came out with them. That sold me. Spend the extra money and a few years down the line you wont regret it IMHO….good luck with your new motor

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.