trialer lights

• uffdapete
    Rainy Lake, MN

I installed LED trailer lights on the boat trailer a couple years ago and never have had a problem until Saturday. We checked the lights after hooking up the boat trailer and they didn’t work so took the grounds off the hitch and the 2 lights and wire brushed a tiny bit of rust off to make sure those were good. Still no lights so we left anyhow since we’re traveling in a rural area and during daylight. After backing the trailer in the water and back out they worked. I took extra precautions when installing the new lights to protect any of the wiring that would be vulnerable to the insulation wearing thin, made sure the grounds were good and connections were soldered and wrapped with shrink tubing. I know enough about electricity to be dangerous so what’s going on?

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

I’ve stopped trusting the trailer frame to be a good ground, and am now running dedicated ground wires from the pigtail all the way back to the tail/stop light assemblies. If you can, find yourself some 16 or 18 gauge tinned copper wire, the “tinning” greatly reduces the chances of corrosion.
    HRG

jerry b
    western WI

Just a guess, mind you, but I’m thinking that when you dunked the trailer there were some ground wires bolted to the light mounting brackets that got wet and completed the circuit. If it were me, I’d start looking there jerr

bigdog10
    Waterloo, Iowa

Is there a fuse (or two) in your tow vehicle that may have blown? Been there, done that. Check your owners manual where the fuses are detailed and look at every one having to do with trailering. Plus, I don’t know if the new LED system requires a different fuse-you would have to check with your auto dealer service department.

moler02
    Iowa, Knoxville

It makes it simpler if you do your trailer wiring and checking with a spare or old 12V battery. Get the trailer checked out and working before hooking it to the truck. Saves a lot of confusion.

uffdapete
    Rainy Lake, MN

Thanks for the suggestions and advice. Checked out the fuse and that was good. Will try running a dedicated ground. Sure seems a bad ground is the culprit.
    Besides being electrically challenged I have very little patience for things that don’t work thus the extra effort to do everything possible to prevent problems.
    Good thing no buyers were around on Saturday or that sucker would’ve been down the road behind someone else. We were headed out for ice out lake trout and that can be a short window so when it’s time things need to work.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.