Hummingbird Side imaging transducers..

• flick
    Alma WI

I purchased two 797 SI graphs from hummingbird…….I would like to buy a transducer for the trolling motor but I have heard they dont read very good because of the trolling motor turning all the time……..dont know what to do….any info would be appreciated..

redrnger

For the side imaging to work correctly the boat needs to be moveing at least 2-mph.Unless your going to run a big trolling motor on high speed all the time,not worth the effort.

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

And turning will make the image stretched on one side and compressed on the other. These transducers are also very expensive and big.

mojogunter

SI is really a search tool. It doesn’t work well if you are trolling slow, like was stated earlier. For me SI seems to get the best view at 3.5 mph and my chart speed on 8. I will search an area first looking for structure or fish and mark them with a wayoint and come back and fish them. For me anyway looking at SI while trolling slow is a waste of time, you get a much better look with the duel beam sonar at slow speeds. If you haven’t opened both units you may be better off returning one of the SI units and either buy a larger non-SI unit for the front, or return both and get a larger SI unit for the council, and a smaller front non SI unit for the front. Another option is return one SI unit and just get the same size screen for the front without SI and save yourself some money.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Last year I got use to using my side imaging at very slow speeds but using the transom mount transducer. Basically it comes down to you have to understand what you are looking at. It took me a long time to figure that out. I do not use a side imaging unit on my bow, for the same reason others have mentioned above.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Quote:

For the side imaging to work correctly the boat needs to be moveing at least 2-mph.Unless your going to run a big trolling motor on high speed all the time,not worth the effort.

This is not true. Search the Yahoo humminbird group and you will find many use SI on there trolling motors. Biggest problem seems to be most want to run there chart speed to fast. When working a area with the trolling motor moving slow SI chart speed should be set at 1 or 2.

That was my biggest problem when I started useing my SI. I was running my chart speed way to fast. If I am running 3 MPH my chart is set at 5 or 6.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Flick,
    First – I assume your networking the units to work as one? Also, Is this a bass boat? Is the SI transducer already mounted in the back of the boat? If your looking for depth/fish marks from a traditional sonar signal, buy the transducer switch, Y-cable, and the puck transducer kit for your trolling motor.

I have the 1197 and have the HUGE SI transducer mounted in the back of the boat. I got the Y-cable and glassed a puck transducer in my hull for shooting through hull on the fly. As for sensitivity, I could see an 1/8th oz with a 3″ paddletail jig in 25fow while verticle jigging. I do want to get a more superior image on the sonar while verticle jigging, so I am buying an anhother puck, Y-cable, and switch for my trolling motor. A buddy of mine has done this and it works great! If you need any help, shoot me a PM

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.