6’6″ or 7′????

• btomlin
    Albia, IA

I have a 6’mf for vert jigging, 7’mm casting for bb & spinners and a 7’mlf for livebait/lingy rigging.

I’m looking for a rod that would be good for pitching jigs(around 1/8oz) and dragging light jigs. I see the 6’6mlf tournament walleye is listed as a “jig-n-rig”.

Would this be the length and action I should be looking for to accomplish these tasks??? I just hate retying so I looking for yet another rod to trip over in the boat!

redneck
    Rosemount

The 6’9″ MLXF would be another one to consider. It is a heck of a rod for pitching light plastics. I have a couple and use them for pitching and for dragging plastics and live bait.

Jeff Bennett
    Lake Puckaway Wi.

My preference for pitching light jigs is the premeir ps70mlf by st croix. It works great for 1/32 and 1/16th jigs and larger as well. The longer rod helps lobbing them out to the shore lines and works good for getting more distance.

From Jeff

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Both good choices…but if you ever test drive a lighter, Higher modulus (St. Croix or other…if its in the budget) you will be amazed at the difference in quickness and sensitivity.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

I agree with Mr. Gursky. I personally use either my Loomis GLX Sjr 782 or 783- depending on what the application is. Both are 6’6″ rods that are as sensitive as can be and have an extremely fast action which works well for throwing plastics and blade baits. The 782 is a medium action and I use it for plastics and the 783 is a medium heavy and I use it for blade baits. I know that this is primarily a St. Croix website, so I will give it to Croix, you may wanna try the 6’8″ medium legend or the 6’9″ mlf legend. Both rods will be very well also. I figure step up to the plate and invest in something that will treat you wwll for a long time, you can’t go wrong!

smackem
    Iowa Marshall Co

I’m a AVID man and can’t feel any difference between the higher priced Loomis and the Avid. Either the 6’6″ or 7′ would work great. I would use something in the MLF

Just my 2 cents

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

My preference for pitching light jigs is the premeir ps70mlf by st croix. It works great for 1/32 and 1/16th jigs and larger as well. The longer rod helps lobbing them out to the shore lines and works good for getting more distance.

Ditto on that. Nice rod and the price is right. It also doubles as my go to corking rod all summer!

-J.

btomlin
    Albia, IA

Thanks guys!!!

I was leaning toward a 7’mlf, but was hoping you would talk me into the 6’6 mlf since I don’t have that one!

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Not much difference between a 6’6″ or a 7′ rod. So much of the time, a longer handle is used and the blank is only 3″ longer. I seldom benefit from a longer handle so I get a bit miffed when they do this. My thought is this….

Anything that adds to the controlling of the fish is worth getting into so I do favor longer rods. I use both a 6’8″ MLXF and a 7′ MLF, in the Legend Elite series. I’ve tested the rest and while it’s said IDO is a Croix site, I just can’t argue with experience. The difference in these two rods is in the tip action. If you want a little extra play at the tip, get an XF model, in any series. It helps with lighter bite situations IMHO. When fish are crushing your lures, sensitivity really doesn’t matter so much, just the control. For specialty, I like the MLXF. For a broader scoped “do-almost-anything” setup, I like the MLF.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.