Favorite braid? Mono?

• rainman2
    metro area

Whats your favorite braid line for walleye fishing?

How about mono?

jhalfen

While not actually a braid, my favorite superline is Fireline Crystal.

For mono’s, I’ve been running Sufix Elite hi-vis yellow for a few years, but have recently begun converting over to the Cortland mono that Dean is carrying at Everts. The Cortland is spooled on the bottom reel in this pic.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

PowerPro and old reliable Trilene XT.

toothycritters

spiderwire braid, which by the way has a $6 rebate right now , trilene for mono.

shaley
    Milford IA

Trilene and Power Pro

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Mustad Ultra Pro Mono (now discontinued ) and either Sufix or PP braid. I have spooled up some Cortland Endeavor 6# mono to try in a few weeks on P-4.

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

This could easily become a “Ford vs Chevy vs Toyota vs Dodge” deal…of course we all know what’s best in those choices…

Anyway… within my circle there are lots of opnions, but its clear that when it comes to braid, nothing beats PowerPro.

As for non-braid fishing lines… lots of opinions, but as some have stated, Trilene XT is tough to beat for flippin’ and Pitchin’ basic mono.

Personally, I am addicted to the “P-Line Floroclear”, have since its introduction ~8 or so years ago. Its a co-polymer… basically a monofilament with a floro coating… strong knots, good abrasion resistense, super-clear, and better catsability than Floro. Its downside is that it is like any other mono and gets a memory and has some stretch (good thing, sometimes, of course). To solve the catsability issues that develop from memory, I simply respool a couple times a season, at $8 a spool, its cheap insurance.

That all said, I am new to the Floro market and began experimenting in 2008. I have stuggled to find one I like…other buddies swear by them, but at ~$20 a spool vs <$10, I think I might cry with the first birdsnest… (of course, may have happened already… )

rainman2
    metro area

Quote:

This could easily become a “Ford vs Chevy vs Toyota vs Dodge” deal…of course we all know what’s best in those choices…

[/quote

Thats why I didn’t ask for the best! I asked for your favorite!

btomlin
    Albia, IA

I, like Jason, enjoy using fireline crystal. It’s not a braid, but it is a super line(pun intended).

As for mono….I spool up with cabelas proline. I use the hi-vis and clear blue. I have had no problems with it, although I know there are better lines on the market. I don’t fish a lot of “artic” conditions, so the proline works fine. If I was headed to P4 in March, I would definately have some suffix or cortland….that stuff is as smooth as “butta” on a spool!

perch_44
    One step ahead of the Warden.

i like fireline for winter, but really have only used mono on the softwater. i’ve always used trilene xl. i’m ordering some cabelas proline hi-vis to try this year though.

jwall

Trielene XL and XT for me

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

Whats your favorite braid line for walleye fishing?

How about mono?

Spiderwire Stealth for trolling cranks.

Fireline for casting.

Trilene XL or whatever Dean has on the bulk spool at Everts for mono!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.