Thoughts on setting up a VHF base station.

• The_Bladepuller
    South end

I’m curious about how others have set up VHF base stations. I have a very good (If there is such a thing) hand held but I want to be able to loan that to visitors that do not have a unit in their boat. I’ve peeked over the counter and talked w/ the neighbors (“Walleye Dundee”) about their set up but I’m interested in others ideas also.
    What do you use for a power source? I’ve seen a 120AC to 12V DC transformer / converter that you can supposedly get at Radio Shack. I have no problems going that route. The idea of having a small (garden tractor) wet cell battery hidden below also has occured. I’m not crazy about charging the battery inside the entry, where the base would go.
    Since VHF is line of sight antenna height gives you range. I’m thinking that starting off 10 to 12 off the ground, on the gable end fascia, should be plenty high but does foliage cut down / interfer with reception & broadcasting?
    If so I’d mount the antenna on a chimney but I’d have to splice the coax cable due to the distance.
    Wade, please weigh in. You have been a help in the past on a bum transducer.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.