Test Drive of Merten’s Power vs. Non-Power Tiller

• walleyejohn

I had the opportunity to test drive two boats one with a Tiller Power Steering unit & the other with a Tiller Non-Power Steering today. First let me thank Frank Gailloreto of Summerset Marine in Delavan, WI for setting up the drives.

Both boats were 18′ Alumacraft Tillers. One had a 75 hp Mercury the other had a 75 hp Yamaha motor. I tested the boats with the trims all the way down on both motors to give me the most negative feedback possible.

I first tested the Power Steering system and I can tell you that it is everything that people have been reporting for the last 3 years. Extremely easy to maneuver, hardly any effort to steer and very little torque even when turning at higher speeds. The installation requires a bit more space & of course power to function but for the bigger tillers that we are now seeing, I think it will be standard on all of them in the future.

I was most anxious to check out the Non-Power Steering System after hearing about the newer units for some time. Well I for one concur with the others that have one installed or driven one already. The units are sleet and take up hardly any space. From an install standpoint fairly straight forward and would aesthetically blend into most motors. Self contained and required no power or load from an outside source.

From a performance standpoint there is very little torque even on the tight, higher speed turns but there is a bit more than with the powered units (something I expected.) When you take your hand off the tiller, it is steady as a rock and does not move at all.

In my particular situation (90 E-Tec on a 618T) I will purchase the Non-Powered System. If I had a larger engine say, 150 or above, the Power Steering System is the way to go. I also would like to say I have no interest or connection with the company or any of their retailers. This is just my two cents for what it’s worth, I hope it helps some other tiller owners.

Good Luck,
    Walleyejohn

look-a-like
    St. Charles, MN

Great post I’m interested in the non-powered unit myself for my 90 Yamaha….Thanks

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I’m having the Power model installed next spring. I tested the Power model at the PWT Mille lacs and its the cats meow… Any info on the non-power? I haven’t seen this model. Price differences?

Thanks for the report.

evileye
    Milan Il

Thanks for the info, I just purchased a 18′ Lund Tiller with a 90 merc four stroke and would be interested in the non power system myself.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

It’s about half price of the full powered version.

It does take a little effort to turn compaired to the powered one but reduces torque to next to nothing.

I don’t notice the torque when motoring trimmed down in larger waves since I got it installed a couple of weeks ago.

It’s all self contained, no holes drilled in your boat.

A few pics of it on my rig:

walleyejohn

Currently the Power Systems run about $2,200-$2,400 depending where in the country you have it installed. The Non-Power System according to Frank will be increasing slightly (+$200 or so) after the first of the year. Currently they will cost you about $1,000.

A substaintial difference between the systems but it is my understanding that they will be recommending the Power Systems for all larger tillers, probably over 115hp.

Walleyejohn

danno
    Central MN

Is the handle mounted higher now? I can’t really tell for sure from the pictures but it looks like the bracket between the handle and the engine has been changed and appears higher than normal?

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Yes, it does sit up a little higher.

Other than that I haven’t noticed any difference with the tiller placement.

danno
    Central MN

Hmmm. Not sure how much I’d like that. I feel it’s high enough already when trimmed down and in troll-mode. Just personal preference.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

If you can, take one for a test ride.

I’ll be out on Mille Lacs for at least one night every weekend if your going to be in the area.

Shoot me a PM if your interested.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.